Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I started an IRA in 1998 and made the contribution for 1998. I sent a check for 1999 dated after January 1, 1999, just before leaving on a trip and put a note on it saying it was for 1999. Ameritrade cashed the check before 1999 and put down that I over conntributed. They told me I had to fill out a form with the IRS to change it. The IRS said there is
no such form that Ameritrade must make the correction. Ameritrade refuses to make the correction and tells me they didn't make an error.

I'm going to be subject to a six percent fine for this all because Ameritrade is such a lousy broker.

I have put this thing on record via certified, return receipt requested mail to Ameritrade and the IRS. Also, I'm checking for a new broker.

I need suggestions to get Ameritrade to make the correction. All help appreciated. Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.