UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: persistentone Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35343  
Subject: Brokers With High End Research Date: 4/11/2012 9:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Seems to me I posted on this before but cannot find the thread. Can we compare notes on which brokers offer high end research for free?

One data point is apparently ETrade is offering Moodys credit research on issuers and individual bonds. Coverage is probably sketchy, but I looked at one of these and it was quite useful to understanding the company's business model.

Another data point is that Schwab offers access to Credit Suisse research. It's hard to find and even harder to search through, but it is there, and some of it is quite good.

Any others out there?

Does TD Ameritrade allow US customers to access their research on Canadian companies? Apparently TD Ameritrade in US is run as a totally separate company from the Canadian business so it is not clear they cross pollinate.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34004 of 35343
Subject: Re: Brokers With High End Research Date: 4/11/2012 11:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Schwab offers some basic Moody's research.

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34005 of 35343
Subject: Re: Brokers With High End Research Date: 4/12/2012 12:52 AM
Schwab offers some basic Moody's research.

And free S&P stock reports, which give a worthwhile view on the company as a whole, as an investment thought, besides just the bond picture.

Bill

Author: howardgt One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34006 of 35343
Subject: Re: Brokers With High End Research Date: 4/12/2012 5:43 AM
Recommendations: 2
Fidelity offers S&P reports for individual bond issues. The reports are along the same lines as Etrade offers for Moodys. So with accounts at Etrade and Fidelity I have access to the 2 main credit agencies. That's enough for me.

I have no desire for so-called research reports from sell-side brokers. I don't trust or believe them.

Howard

Author: persistentone Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34009 of 35343
Subject: Re: Brokers With High End Research Date: 4/17/2012 3:13 AM
Where do you see Moody's research on individual stocks on Schwab?

Author: persistentone Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34010 of 35343
Subject: Re: Brokers With High End Research Date: 4/17/2012 3:19 AM
Recommendations: 1
howard, you cannot give a one size fits all answer on the quality of broker research. Sometimes it is garbage, and other times it is extremely deep and insightful. For example, I was researching the Australian outfit Alumina as a proxy for Alcoa, and Credit Suisse's research coverage was fantastic. They gave tremendous insights into the different parts of Alumina's business that were moving the stock up and down simultaneously. They gave very specific scenarios in which the stock would perform well. I would never have had any of this understanding without their reports. I like this kind of research when it can help you understand the business model, particularly when you are new to the stock.

In terms of Moody's, where they excel is in helping you understand the credit hierarchy of a company. If Moody's gives a limited partnership specific coverage, it is a good way to learn the history of who was the general partner and how that evolved. I read that kind of report just to record the history rather than to get insights.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement