Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19218  
Subject: Re: Medicare, anyone? Date: 10/16/2012 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Brooklyn - I was significantly off with regard to traditional medicare costs for people without media-gap insurance. (I have that and things have changed a lot over the years.)

Here are the current costs - keep in mind when reading these costs #1 Medi-Gap policies generally pay most/all of these with the exception of the limitations of 30 days and 90 days in the hospital. #2 Advantage plans also pay these costs as far as I know.

http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/2011/10/27/2012-medicare-pre...

Neither Advantage or Medicare pays hospital or nursing home (as far as I know) costs. If you have no nursing home insurance, your care is paid by Medicaid. That is a state administer program and rule details depend on where you live. But generally speaking you must spend all your money, sell all your assets and sign over all your Social Security payments before Medicaid pays a dime. (Again a few exceptions like you can keep $25 a month for personal items -- say clothes and tissues.) Medicaid is not something anybody wants, but all recipients are thankful for.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement