No. of Recommendations: 2
Brooklyn1948:

Interesting.

Again, it all comes down to "whatever works well for YOU".

TBH, we would not want a townhouse; too close to other people. But YOU like it, so that's great -- and all that matters!

Forgive the long message, but...

We live on a dirt road (well maintained by the town, winter and summer), about 3 miles from a small shopping center with our post office (where we maintain a box), a pharmacy, grocery store, gas station, etc.) and we're 10 miles from a larger city, where there are MANY more shops, stores, and, importantly, a good hospital.

We have one neighbor maybe 1,000 feet away, and another on the other side of us on the adjoining acreage (whose home we can barely see through the woods). We rarely see either of them, but that's okay. They are there if we desperately need them, which is how many Vermonters are -- private but "there when needed". Across the road from us is a large plot of many acres, owned by the couple half a mile from us. He maintains it nicely as open field so she can train her horses.

Our land is 11 acres, mostly wooded, with enough lawn to keep mowed by hand and with my lawn tractor, and 700 feet of frontage on the dirt road. Down below and behind us, our land extends maybe 400 feet into pine forest, and then a large preserve below there.

We attend church regularly and thus have many friends there, whom we see socially on occasion.

If we sound a bit like hermits, maybe we are, I guess! But that's how we like to live. Again, the peace and quiet are essential.

Thankfully, we (I, really -- my wife doesn't use the computer by choice!) also have the internet, and I'm also a longtime ham radio operator, so we have various ways of contacting others (besides the telephone, of course!) when we want to.

To each his or her own. Enjoy! Peace be with you all!

Vermonter (74)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement