Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121455  
Subject: Re: Something Funny Going On Date: 9/26/2012 7:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Bruce big banks have systems and rules. The folks in the branch can't hardly turn off the lights or replace a dead light bulb without permission or following a prescribed procedure. The solution is very simple. Go elsewhere - the amount of money you need is trivial to a bank, but a community bank wants your business and the people who can make the decisions (or exceptions to rules) are generally either in the office or another close by.

A friend of mine wanted to buy a house. They had the loan all approved and just before the closing for unknown reasons the bank decided on getting a second inspection. That inspector said the roof was defective and leaking. The bank said they would not issue the loan until after the roof was fixed. Well that is all well and good, but the seller was destitute and had lowered the price to cover the cost of roof repair - agreed to by seller. The house with bad roof appraised at $450K. The sale price was under $300K and the mortgage was to be for $290K. The bank would not budge. My friend walked across the street to another bank, explained the entire deal with various engineering and inspection reports included. He get a loan from the second bank for 300K.

There is no point in telling the BB&T folks you are dealing with - they undoubtedly want to help, they just don't have the authority.

About 30 months ago, I switched from a traditional, large regional bank (similar to BB&T). I got my checking account at Ally Bank. I have an Money Market account at a one branch community bank. Use Ally which is free and rebates all my ATM charges at any ATM in the country for bill payments. Use the local bank for safety deposit box, and to keep my Emergency Cash account. They pay a decent rate of interest - well lets say higher than my brokerage firm or Ally.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement