No. of Recommendations: 11
Bruce said: I got to wondering if a portfolio of only PREFERRED STOCK could provide long term, reliable dividends that can somehow be used to provide annually inflation adjusted income throughout all retirement years. The answer is, yes it can, with a couple of risks and limitations.

Bruce, I endorse this approach. It is a reasonable portfolio for a retiree or near retiree. In a perfect world, this would be invested inside an IRA or other deferred account. Even if it is in a taxable account, the retiree might be in a low tax bracket, such that taxes would not be a large drag.

Personally I have several accounts with a very heavy weight of preferreds. The main difference is that I am leaving open the possibility of selling all of them off if need be. This works fine if you have one of us managing the account. I would not expect a non-investing senior to make a major investment change like that on their own. This is because I think eventually inflation/interest rates will rise. I just don’t know if any of us will still be around when it occurs.

Aside from the issues of inflation/deflation and rising interest rates, I do have another concern. If the senior buys 20 to 30 preferreds it provides good diversification. If interest rates fall, then most of the portfolio will be called away. The senior would have to become actively involved in picking out new preferreds. Once again, that is not a big deal for active investors like us, but it might be a problem for a non-investing senior.

Related to this, we are working on a similar concept tentatively titled: “NON-traded REIT alternative.” It is not ready to post yet, but it might be a worthwhile alternative to the all preferred portfolio.

On the spectrum of possible portfolio allocations for retirees, the all preferreds approach will be better than most IMO.

Thanks,

Yodaorange
Print the post  

Announcements

Related Boards
Real Estate Investing
This is a great board for Real Estate other than REITs.

Buying & Selling a Home
Get your personal advice about mortgages, agents, etc. here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement