UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1960793  
Subject: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/23/2013 4:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Bruce Schneier: NSA Spying Is Making Us Less Safe

MIT Technology Review interviews cryptographer Bruce Schneier:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/519336/bruce-schneier-n...

I'm bothered by the fact that so few people (even on this forum) are bothered by NSA snooping.

(Clips in first reply.)

Peter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899797 of 1960793
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/23/2013 4:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
MIT Technology Review interviews cryptographer Bruce Schneier:

Taken together, what do all of the Snowden documents leaked thus far reveal that we didn’t know already?

Those of us in the security community who watch the NSA had made assumptions along the lines of what Snowden revealed. But there was scant evidence and no proof. What these leaks reveal is how robust NSA surveillance is, how pervasive it is, and to what degree the NSA has commandeered the entire Internet and turned it into a surveillance platform.

We are seeing the NSA collecting data from all of the cloud providers we use: Google and Facebook and Apple and Yahoo, etc. We see the NSA in partnerships with all the major telcos in the U.S., and many others around the world, to collect data on the backbone. We see the NSA deliberately subverting cryptography, through secret agreements with vendors, to make security systems less effective. The scope and scale are enormous.

The only analogy I can give is that it’s like death. We all know how the story ends. But seeing the actual details, and seeing the actual programs, is very different than knowing it theoretically.

The NSA mission is national security. How is the snooping really affecting the average person?

The NSA’s actions are making us all less safe. They’re not just spying on the bad guys, they’re deliberately weakening Internet security for everyone—including the good guys. It’s sheer folly to believe that only the NSA can exploit the vulnerabilities they create. Additionally, by eavesdropping on all Americans, they’re building the technical infrastructure for a police state.

We’re not there yet, but already we’ve learned that both the DEA and the IRS use NSA surveillance data in prosecutions and then lie about it in court. Power without accountability or oversight is dangerous to society at a very fundamental level.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/519336/bruce-schneier-n...

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899805 of 1960793
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/23/2013 7:22 AM
"We’re not there yet, but already we’ve learned that both the DEA and the IRS use NSA surveillance data in prosecutions and then lie about it in court. Power without accountability or oversight is dangerous to society at a very fundamental level."

So which 2016 candidate for the Democratic Party will come out and denounce this, and promise to eliminate it?

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899824 of 1960793
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/23/2013 10:27 AM
If that was the only reason to vote Democrat it would matter. That is the frustration of modern politics. I was a Republican until the wahck jobs took over.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899846 of 1960793
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/23/2013 1:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
HMA So which 2016 candidate for the Democratic Party will come out and denounce this, and promise to eliminate it?

Why do you ask about the Democratic Party?

Do you believe that the Democratic Party has responsibility for maintaining are freedoms, but the Republican Party does not?

It is clear that the Executive Branch (regardless of party) will always choose greater power and secrecy. No hope there.

What little hope there is lies with Congress. Perhaps someday congresscritters of all stripes will become more interested in limiting government power than coercing individuals.

But only if the voters force them to do that.

Peter

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899921 of 1960793
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/24/2013 5:19 AM
Recommendations: 1
I'm bothered by the fact that so few people (even on this forum) are bothered by NSA snooping.

Unfortunately the prevailing attitude seems to be, "If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about." Co-workers of mine say that when I bring up the subject every time. Few seem to realize that even an innocent conversation or email can be turned to seem nefarious.

I've resigned myself to living in a world where our every more is scrutinized, just in case we might do something "bad." I mostly gave up on this forum because what few threads there were devoted to rational discussion about current events seem to be fading away. Even some of the posters who WERE rational seem to be moving toward the hyperbolic ranting that is the hallmark of this forum. It makes it frustrating to have any type of rational debate and no one learns anything from posters stating positions over and over again. Especially those who post the simplistic drivel trivializing otherwise complicated subjects.

I hope people wake up before it goes too far but it may already be too late.

Calabogie

Author: FreethinkerKW Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899922 of 1960793
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/24/2013 5:22 AM
http://boards.fool.com/spy-agencies-are-doing-what-30884765....

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899933 of 1960793
Subject: Re: Bruce Schneier: NSA Is Making Us Less Safe Date: 9/24/2013 6:28 AM
I hope people wake up before it goes too far but it may already be too late.

Yep. If you're a thug that will "share" in the bounty though, you got nothing to worry about.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement