No. of Recommendations: 13
BruceBrown,

You wrote, Truth be told, that's not bad at all as it puts you at .23 - .25%. Think of all the folks who have plans that contain only choices of funds with higher expense ER fees that are over 1%?

TL;DR: anecdata follows.

I once worked at a start-up that had a 401(k) plan through John Hancock. This was before Congress required full disclosure on your statements. The plan's fees were atrocious.

If you actually read the fine print of the plan summary and disclosures, the details were actually there. John Hancock was collecting 1%/year from us on top of the outrageous expense ratios and 12b-1 fees charged by the funds. I created a table of the available options and found that the average offering cost employees right at 2% of assets/year.

The cheapest options were the money market account and the US large cap index fund - it didn't actually claim to be an S&P 500 fund, but that was its benchmark. I think the index fund still came with something over a 0.25% expense ratio, for a total cost of over 1.25%/year for just an unmanaged S&P 500 index fund.

When I confronted management about the costs, I was was met with this response: Yeah? So? I'm making money in my account. Aren't you?

I maxed out anyway, because I figured I needed to defer as much of my income as possible. Even though I figured the plan was basically eating up most of the value of the tax deferral - I also figured I wouldn't be there forever and it would be a good move once I managed to move those assets to my IRA. When the company folded during the credit crisis, I quite literally faxed the rollover paperwork to John Hancock on my way out the door.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement