No. of Recommendations: 1
Calling all resident experts:

I have a client that was recently advised by an elder care attorney to cash in all of his investments (even his IRAs) and buy an immediate annuity as a means to get his wife qualified for Medicaid. He paid thousands of dollars in fees and taxes to cash in those investments, only to learn that the attorney was a $*&$#(*& idiot and did not even find out that the guy had a 400K IRA that would disqualify his wife from ever getting Medicaid.

She ended up returning a PORTION of her fee, but I feel she is responsible for the expenses the client incured for her advice. Do you or anyone else know the section of the law that governs those that give investment advice, making them legally liable, even if they are not licensed to give advice? I am trying to convince the guy to threaten to take her before the regulatory bodies unless she covers his expenses. I had thought it was Rule 3040 but that deals with Selling Away.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.