Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2840  
Subject: Brussel spout category? Date: 12/19/2012 11:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I submitted the beer I bottled last night into speciality veg beer I think I would be a shoo in for gold as a brussel sprout beer.

BLECH. Actually this hop had some promise and those aromas are still there...a bit. But this beer smells and tastes of brussel sprouts.

It started as my own IPA base recipe. But there was no nottingham at my LHBS so they recommended pac man. After primary and secondary I was left with a beer that was kinda blah, nothing like my first attempt at this recipe.

Since I had just gone in on a group buy, I had about 10oz of Belma leaf hops sitting around. But, dry hopping would have just piled the hops on top in the secondary and I like the flavors of late additions like 10 and 5 min. Even at flame out you have lots of residual heat to draw out the flavors instead of just aromas.

So I took three oz of belma and put into boiling water for 5 min. Then I chilled that and poured the whole thing (hops n water) into the carboy.

A week later and wow...this beer went from blah to ugh. Went ahead and bottled of six bombers, but dumped the rest. I read on all the forums about not dumping beers and that 'hey, you made beer'. But I start to weigh the effort of bottling 5gals against my expected enjoyment of said experiment. Maybe in a few months I'll be very sad that I only have some bottles, but right now I cannot imagine it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement