Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2839  
Subject: Brussel spout category? Date: 12/19/2012 11:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I submitted the beer I bottled last night into speciality veg beer I think I would be a shoo in for gold as a brussel sprout beer.

BLECH. Actually this hop had some promise and those aromas are still there...a bit. But this beer smells and tastes of brussel sprouts.

It started as my own IPA base recipe. But there was no nottingham at my LHBS so they recommended pac man. After primary and secondary I was left with a beer that was kinda blah, nothing like my first attempt at this recipe.

Since I had just gone in on a group buy, I had about 10oz of Belma leaf hops sitting around. But, dry hopping would have just piled the hops on top in the secondary and I like the flavors of late additions like 10 and 5 min. Even at flame out you have lots of residual heat to draw out the flavors instead of just aromas.

So I took three oz of belma and put into boiling water for 5 min. Then I chilled that and poured the whole thing (hops n water) into the carboy.

A week later and wow...this beer went from blah to ugh. Went ahead and bottled of six bombers, but dumped the rest. I read on all the forums about not dumping beers and that 'hey, you made beer'. But I start to weigh the effort of bottling 5gals against my expected enjoyment of said experiment. Maybe in a few months I'll be very sad that I only have some bottles, but right now I cannot imagine it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2708 of 2839
Subject: Re: Brussel spout category? Date: 12/19/2012 11:30 AM
Brussel sprouts? I'm speechless.

PSU

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2709 of 2839
Subject: Re: Brussel spout category? Date: 12/19/2012 12:00 PM
Not one I have ever heard of either. However the hops were NOT clean. It was full of twigs and seeds, so wondering if the weird flavors came from the seeds? (Do rhyzomes have seeds? These little beady things.)

Maybe sulfur would account for it, since brussel sprouts are high in sulfer which contributes to their smell. <shrug> Thinking of making the club try it out to make them suffer. LOL.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2710 of 2839
Subject: Re: Brussel spout category? Date: 12/19/2012 1:01 PM
All good questions but I wouldn't know since I hate brussel sprouts as a vegetable, I would never think of making a beer out of them.

PSU

Author: SvenHoek Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2711 of 2839
Subject: Re: Brussel spout category? Date: 12/19/2012 1:04 PM
Recommendations: 2
BLECH. Actually this hop had some promise and those aromas are still there...a bit. But this beer smells and tastes of brussel sprouts.

I've had that happen before.

Here's an explanation from John Palmer's "How to Brew":

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)/ Cooked Vegetable Flavors
Like diacetyl in ales, DMS is common in many light lagers and is considered to be part of the character. DMS is produced in the wort during the boil by the reduction of another compound, S-methyl-methionine (SMM), which is itself produced during malting. When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections.

DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.

When caused by bacterial infection, DMS has a more rancid character, more liked cooked cabbage than corn. It is usually the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch of beer will perpetuate the problem.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2712 of 2839
Subject: Re: Brussel spout category? Date: 12/19/2012 1:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
*smacks head on desk*

Sometimes I read too fast. The beer tastes like brussel sprouts. The beer is not made with brussel sprouts as an ingredient.

Christmas vacation won't get here fast enough.

Ignore Fool behind door #1.

PSU

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2713 of 2839
Subject: Re: Brussel spout category? Date: 1/2/2013 5:26 PM
UPDATE! So we opened one of the few beers that we actually bottled from this freaky attempt. It had mellowed a lot and has turned into a mostly drinkable beer. The sulfury brussel sproutness has faded to a very earthy funk with some fruit and florals.

The part that most surprises me, is that this week I had a glass of Green Flash Imperial IPA...and damn if it doesn't have the exact earthy funk (with some other hops) as the predominant flavor!! Seriously.

That kinda freaks me out a bit.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement