No. of Recommendations: 0
GENERAL ISSUE
I'm looking to fix more budget-conscious meals. I already do a lot of beans and soups. I've never gotten into casseroles other than eggplant parmesan and stuffed shells, so I'm making my first forays and would love some tips, recipes, whatever you got.

SPECIFIC ISSUE
I'm looking to use the leftover holiday turkey before it gets freezer burned. I already have plans to make turkey mole next week, but there's a lot of turkey!

I ran across this recipe on the WHole Foods monthly circular and was wondering about a substitution for the canned cream of chicken soup--could I just make a cream sauce using chicken broth? Should I stir in some yogurt or sour cream to make it richer? BTW, IMO this recipe sounds like it needs seasoning...garlic especially, also cumin and probably some cayenne.

NEW KING RANCH CASSEROLE (I would call it Chicken Ranch Casserole, which for some reason makes me giggle-)

1 (2 pound) package Nature's Rancher Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts [this is where my leftover turkey comes in-]
2 red and/or green bell peppers, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 (15 ounce) can 365 Everyday Value Organic Canned Tomatoes with Green Chiles
12 corn tortillas, halved
1 bunch Swiss chard, thick stems removed, leaves chopped
1/2 cups 365 Everyday Value Organic Shredded Mexican Blend cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°F. [create the cooked, diced chicken--I can skip this] Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine peppers, onion, soup and tomatoes.

Layer one-third of the tortillas in the bottom of an oiled 9x13-inch casserole dish. Top with one-third of the chard, one-third of the chicken, one-third of the vegetable mixture and one-third of the cheese. Repeat process two more times and bake, uncovered, until bubbly and golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement