UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Bottles Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Budgeting Date: 4/27/1998 12:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I dont really consider Budgeting (too-far) off topic, at least not to open a new post and see where it goes...

Looking at the Fool Boards related to personal Finance sections there are two other boards that I could see possibly posting this msg:
1. Fools and their Money
2. Family Fool

I have not really browsed either of these boards, might now, but havnt as of yet. Since there is not a "Digging your way out of Debt - Step 2 to Fooldom" Message Board. Hey there is an intersting Idea for a new Fool Board (Hint, Hint...)

Beleive it or not, I find bugeting the most difficult aspect of being in debt. The concepts are easy, but in practice it is next to impossible. What I have done is, with the help of Quicken, set up a budget for myself/family. I have only been using it as a guideline though, not an absolute.

Up until the end of last year I had no budget. I used the frist two months of the year as a benchmark for my budget and only tracked where I was spending money. That Quicken help immensly. I took those two months as datapoints and went from there using those as baselines.

I then extrapolated out the rest of the year months and adjusted some of the costs appropriately. For example, energy costs low in march/april/may/june and high in july/aug then picking back up in Nov/Dec as one point. Also puting in extra money for gifts around b-days/christmas as best as could be guesed. I didnt put any unplanned expenses, like the one of our car's Power steering problem that cost us 2k to fix in Jan.. GRRrrrrr...

As I said I used this as a guide to validate how much I think we could realistically afford to pay towards debt reduction. For the most part once I valaidated that aspect, the amount I could realistically assume for debt reduction, I pretty much stopped with the budget effort. Meaning I don't got out to a mall/store with the notion that I have 100.00 to spend or for that matter 100.00 I have to spend to stay in the budget.

I still track all expenses and make sure they stay in line with the baseline averages from those first two months. I check it porbably weekly or so. Quicken is Good for tracking Where the money gets spent on a month-by-month Baisis.

I do not really know if this is the right/wrong thing to use a budget in this fasion, but it seems to be working for us.

One note, I did try to use Quickens Buget tools, Found them hard to use and never tried it again, I use Quicken 6.0 (not '98 version). I just us an excel spread sheet for the buget and the catagories from quicken.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Bottles
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement