Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19435  
Subject: budgeting software options for non-profit? Date: 4/11/2012 9:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am not quite sure where to post this, so thought I'd start here.

I am treasurer of a small quilt guild, and am about to start my second term, but the by-laws limit me to 2 terms, so I've got someone who will be shadowing me this year to learn how to do everything.

When I took over, I took all the info from the beginning of the guild's formation, which was only about 2 years before I joined, and put it all into Quicken so that I could categorize and track expenses, and create a budget that I could also track to. I print reports monthly directly from Quicken, and send these out to the membership so they can see where we stand.

The new treasurer does not have Quicken, so I was wondering what other options might exist to handle the budget and reporting that might be free or cheap. I realize that I can always choose to upgrade my personal Quicken, and donate the old one to the guild, or the guild can even buy an older version (I'm running 2011) because we don't need to download anything from anywhere, and really just need the reporting capabilities, although I'm wondering if it will let us budget for future years, or if it limits that like it does tax reporting.

So what other options are there? I've heard of YNAB, but that doesn't seem applicable here. I need something that we can create categories, and report on our fiscal year which runs June 1 - May 31. It doesn't need to connect to any account via online methods. It needs to report against the budget and to report our net worth/balance sheet as I report out on the account balances every month.

Anyone else in a similar position? What do you use? I could give something a trial run this year to see how it works, but I don't know what to use. And of course, cost is a big consideration as we are a not-for-profit and run on a shoestring budget.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19151 of 19435
Subject: Re: budgeting software options for non-profit? Date: 4/11/2012 3:09 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hmm, well, reporting is YNAB's weakness (and Quicken's strength), so a low cost older version might be the way to go.

Ishtar

Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19152 of 19435
Subject: Re: budgeting software options for non-profit? Date: 4/11/2012 3:35 PM
Recommendations: 1
You might want to look at GnuCash http://www.gnucash.org/index.phtml

It's an open source volunteer project for accounting software. I haven't used it, but I've seen it recommended as free accounting software for personal/small business use. They do ask for donations.

AJ

Author: concordiadiscors Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19162 of 19435
Subject: Re: budgeting software options for non-profit? Date: 4/18/2012 9:17 PM
Based on my own experience as a club treasurer managing a shoestring budget I'd just stick with Quicken, even if your guild has to spring for its own copy. There's much to be said for keeping things as simple as possible (and in my case, I had a successor who really needed things to be simple). I can't speak to YNAB, but I tried GNUcash for our stuff at home after MSMoney faded away, and I didn't find it nearly as user-friendly as either MSM or Quicken. But if you've got time to figure it out, it would probably be a decent alternative.

Author: cbrown24 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19170 of 19435
Subject: Re: budgeting software options for non-profit? Date: 8/23/2012 5:32 PM
I agree. Suggest that the quilt guild buy their own copy; that way they can send it on with the next treasurer after this one.

C. Brown
(member of REQG)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement