Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
buffalobutt wrote:

Never mind that I only owe the state of CA $516.40 - there is a state tax lien on my report now for $5614. Did someone forget where the decimal was supposed to go?

Call the credit reporting agencies and dispute the item in question. They will conduct an investigation in 30 days and remove or correct the item on your credit report. That may be the easiest way to get this corrected on your credit report. If you have proof of what the correct amount is in a letter from the FTB, send a copy of that to Equifax, Experian and Transunion. That should take care of getting your credit report corrected.

And one more thing....

Good for you for picking up the pieces and going forward with your life. Depression can be really debilitating. I once lived with a man who was chronically depressed. He hadn't filed his taxes in over 5 years although the IRS owed *him* huge amounts of money. He didn't clean his house. He couldn't hold down a job. He hadn't paid his property taxes and the county nearly took his home. He wouldn't take his medicine and he needed it. He wouldn't seek the help he needed to get well and move on. That's why I left.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.