Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EllenE Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121702  
Subject: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 10:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't know if this is a problem, or normal behavior. At one time I used to call Percy "Wussy Cat" because, well, that's what he was. Now he's turned into a bully. He won't let Pandora up in the cat tree (if he sees her up there he'll come knock her out), if she's playing with a toy, he'll come take it away. Yesterday she was scratching at the couch; I told her "NO!" so she turned to the scratching post (Good kitty!) but was immediately shoved out of the way by Percy. But despite all this they still seem like best buddies--Pandora will groom Percy, etc. She just puts up with this behavior.

Another problem I'm having with Percy (and if this isn't unique I'll be *very* surprised!)--well, how to describe this. Basically, he thinks the carpet is Charmin. He literally wipes his butt on the carpet.

OK, has everyone finished laughing?

Seriously, we've both seen him do it: he sits down, then scoots along the floor, leaving a brown streak. (It would be funny if I wasn't going through so much carpet cleaner!) Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely similar? Or do I just have one really bizarre cat?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tamarab One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4197 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 11:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Another problem I'm having with Percy (and if this isn't unique I'll be *very* surprised!)--well, how to describe this.
Basically, he thinks the carpet is Charmin. He literally wipes his butt on the carpet.

ROFL. I'm sorry, really. My friend has a cat named Steve who does this exact same thing. I had never seen anyother cat do it besides him and we thought he was unique. You are not alone. Of course Steve is an exhibitionist. He prefers scooting across the carpet when the living room is full of guests.

Maybe you could try buying some carpet samples to put near the litter box. Maybe he would scoot on them.

TamaraB
(Really happy I have a female kitty who just doesn't do this)

Author: HardCrash One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4198 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 1
Seriously, we've both seen him do it: he sits down, then scoots along the floor, leaving a brown streak. (It would be funny if I wasn't going through so much carpet cleaner!) Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely similar? Or do I just have one really bizarre cat?
~~~
Well, sounds like Percy might have worms... His a$$ iches and he can't use a claw without doing damage... De-worming or "vet advice" time...

As far as being a "bully"... Q? How long have they been cohabitating? Also, they will be setting Alpha/Beta roles between themselves, that interference may harm. I'm having somewhat of the same prob here with a 5 year old golden retriver (Scotty) and a 6 month old standard poodle pup (Ginger). Scotty will claim ALL the rawhides to one area (generally within 3 or 4 inches of him), and will only chew on one (the biggest). However, Ginger has learned some tricks to get what she wants (like a rawhide). She'll get him outside (doggie/pet door), get him all wound-up playing, and go back inside to get a rawhide (usually the one he was chewing on. The biggest...). They'll work things out. They always do...

Hope this helps...
HC...

Author: DolleyCat Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4199 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 11:25 AM

We have 3 long haired cats that are occassionally afflicted with what we euphemistically call p**py butt. I have seen all three use this method to clean themselves. In our case, it is truly an occasional happening. If your cat is doing this frequently, your kitty might have a problem and you might want to consult your vet.

DolleyCat

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4200 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 11:26 AM
Well, sounds like Percy might have worms...
================================================

Or anal gland problem which is causing the itch. In either case it's time to visit the vet.

Raggmopp
Acknowledged CatSoftie™ since the winter of '06.

Author: EllenE Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4201 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 11:40 AM
Well, sounds like Percy might have worms... His a$$ iches and he can't use a claw without doing damage... De-worming or "vet advice" time...

He's been checked for worms twice--negative both times. And I don't think it's an itch--he only does it after using the litterbox. Sometimes I can catch him and wipe his butt for him (I keep a box of baby wipes handy) and he still goes over to the carpet and does this ('cept now he's clean, so no mess.)

As far as being a "bully"... Q? How long have they been cohabitating?

They're brother/sister, so they've always been together. Pandora used to be the alpha/bully, but now it seems to be changing. (I guess she's getting her comeuppance...) I should also mention they're still babies...well, adolescents now, I guess...6 months old.

They'll work things out. They always do...

I haven't been too worried about it--but since I would like them to use the scratching post rather than the couch, I don't like the idea of one pushing the other off. I'm not sure a second scratching post would help--I suspect Percy would just hog that one, too.

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4202 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 12:04 PM
Is he fat? Is it possible he can't reach to lick his butt?
My pregnant cat was doing that. She was up to her armpits in kittens and looked like she had swallowed a basketball. Now the kittens are delivered and she doesn't do that anymore. While 60 days pregnant she couldn't reach!
Another suggestion would be to change the diet. His
a$$ itches and a cat is limited in how he can scratch. People commonly have that problem if they eat too many tomatoes. He isn't eating tomatoes, but his diet may be too acidy and produce the itching.
Best of luck, Chris

Author: sparky3 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4203 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 12:20 PM
The scratching his butt could be just a bad habit, but it could also mean he has worms, or impacted anal glands. I'd get him to a vet.

If the bullying is REALLY recent, and around the same time he started the wiping, the COULD be related (impacted anal glands = pain = bullying), but that is probably too much to hope for.

If she doesn't mind being pushed out of the way, I'd leave them be, again unless this is a real sudden behavior. If it is going to be standard operating procedure, however, I would do my best to schedule some "alone" time with her (maybe put him in a bedroom somewhere or wait until he's zonked out in a deep nap) so she doesn't feel completely left out.

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4205 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 1:02 PM
Percy being a bully? Sweet angelic Percy? Never! From what I can see he is getting back at Pandora for the first couple of months of picking on him. He has realiized that he's bigger or stronger or it could just be a male thing, you know, I am man, I am boss, and Pandora, being the smart female lets him go right on thinking that. Believe me, she is plotting her revenge as we speak.

For the carpet thing, sorry I did laugh. ;-) But sometimes that can be sign of something else. You might want to get him checked for worms or it could be his diet. If his stool is runny and leaving a mess that he wants to clean off by wiping then you might think about changing his food so it's a little more solid and not leaving a mark.

Good luck hun :)

Deannda
The male in charge, yeah right, HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

Author: NewPenny Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4209 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 2:43 PM

EllenE writes:

Basically, he thinks the carpet is Charmin. He literally wipes his butt on the carpet.

OK, has everyone finished laughing?

Seriously, we've both seen him do it: he sits down, then scoots along the floor, leaving a brown streak. (It would be funny if I wasn't going through so much carpet cleaner!)

=========

I've got 2 ferrets, and for them, this is quite common. I put a towel under the edge of the litter boxes to help keep the carpet clean. Ferrets like to go in corners, so this one room has 6 litter boxes -- that's a lot of little brown streaks!

As for why do they do it. They can't wipe with Charmin.

Cats and ferrets like to keep themselves very clean. (If you licked yourself clean, wouldn't you like to wipe first?) Sorry, gross!

Penny

Author: AnnW Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4213 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 8:43 PM
The butt scratching can also be a sign of constipation. Shadow does that when he's overdue for a dose of catalax. So a trip to the vet might be in order, just to be sure there isn't a bowel problem, somewhere. Can't speak to the other problem as we are a one-cat family...He's king of the household, and has us well trained....

Author: silentteddy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4214 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 10:01 PM
Hi, I haven't read all the other replies to your post,
but I'll bet I am not the only one who picked up on the
fact that your dear little gnarly-cat has WORMS. If I
were you, I would check that carpet carefully. Chances
are you will find little rice-grain looking things.
Those are tape worm sections. You need to contact your
vet. There is a specific wormer for this. Also, the
bully behavior is what happens when cats are confined
and a little bored. Altho, my outside cats will do this from time to time also. I think they just get a
notion once in a while. Cats--so mysterious!

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4215 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/22/2000 11:21 PM
Bullying...hmmm....well I've got that going both directions with my kitties. Snoopy is older and bigger and definitely is known to throw his weight around - literally! I have often worried about Target getting completely squished as he is getting checked into the boards! :) Snoopy likes to play possum and then jump Target as he walks by. Target sits in the foyer and waits for Snoopy to finish eating before he goes into the kitchen to eat. And they do have 2 bowls to eat from that are about 5 feet away from each other. Snoopy initiates almost all "play" - which usually means, "Hey, Target, I'm bored, let me beat up on you for a while!" The one place that Target has decided to rule the roost is my bed. There have been many times that Target has been up there, and Snoopy wants to get up and Target will run to the edge of the bed, clicking and clacking at him to get him away!

They really sort of play off each other for the most part. Snoopy is very "emotionally insecure" - needs/wants attention. Target is very "physically insecure" - much less needy of attention but always looking out for something to fall on him. (Which I think stems from Snoopy pushing a candlestick off a table on his head - I wish I was kidding!)

As for the butt scooting...OK, I admit, I did laugh! Snoopy has done it on occasion - he is a longhair and I think that has much to do with it. If it is happening frequently though, I would check for either worms or impacted anal glands.

Cindy

Author: HardCrash One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4220 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/23/2000 11:04 AM
CindyC72 writes...

Bullying...hmmm....well I've got that going both directions with my kitties. Snoopy is older and bigger and definitely is known to throw his weight around - literally! I have often worried about Target getting completely squished as he is getting checked into the boards! :)
~~~~~~~
TARGET!? Good name. I guess he/she (only caus' I don't know. U didn't tell us...) knows the name and is trying to live up to it. <g>

HC...

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4230 of 121702
Subject: Re: Bullies Date: 3/23/2000 8:37 PM
TARGET!? Good name. I guess he/she (only caus' I don't know. U didn't tell us...) knows the name and is trying to live up to it. <g>

HC...

Target and Snoopy are both males - two of the most reliable men in my life! :)

Target is a brown tabby - when he was a little thing, his stripes were closer to concentric circles on his side, hence the name.

Cindy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement