Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It's that time of year for blowing the leaves into the woods around our house. It has to be done several times throughout the falling of the leaves from the trees. Until 2 years ago, I always did it with a gasoline powered backpack blower. Two years ago, I got a biventricular pacemaker/ICD implanted for my heart issues. For those of you who have one, you've probably found out that you can't use an electric or gasoline blower, particularly a backpack one, because the electomagnetic field around the motor will screw up the pacemaker/ICD. Now, my dear wife gets to do it, and it makes me feel just a little bit useless. Of course, I guess we could hire someone to do it, but that just seems to be a waste of money since we have the time and it's not that much area that needs to be blown. It's nice that my wife seems to actually be getting into the karma of blowing leaves, since that makes it less workful and almost enjoyable.
Print the post Back To Top
Here's the problem:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/...

See be careful around ...

You might be able to use these handhelds.
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Blowers/Compare-Blowers.asp...

Then again DW might enjoy it. Mine would pay for the help.

BEST! Live long and prosper!

Hockeypop
I don't doubt for a second you were told not use such leave blowers. Probably that set of directions was written by the same folks who say iPads and cell phone will cause a Boeing 747 to crash.

You might want to do a little research.

Gordon
Atlanta
No. of Recommendations: 3
<< I don't doubt for a second you were told not use such leave blowers. Probably that set of directions was written by the same folks who say iPads and cell phone will cause a Boeing 747 to crash.

You might want to do a little research. >>

Actually, taking such warnings at face value is probably the wise thing to do, in my opinion.

That's especially true if you have a wife who can do the job...

Seattle Pioneer
...you can't use an electric or gasoline blower,...because the electomagnetic field around the motor will screw up the pacemaker/ICD...

I'm surprised that a gasoline powered engine will interfer with pacemakers.

Good luck,

TB
It's nice that my wife seems to actually be getting into the karma of blowing leaves

She is woman, hear her roar (literally)!

Res, your wife is so grateful you're alive, she'll probably do anything to keep it that way.

=alstro, not bummin' a bit as we're getting ready to hear the Charleston Symphony perform The Planets :-)
I have always used an electric blower. Those gas things are too heavy for me. Last time I blew leaves, I threw out my back big time. Now I hire lawn guys to do that. And they better get here quick...big blow coming tomorrow.

Birgit
...electric blower...I hire lawn guys to do that. And they better get here quick...big blow coming tomorrow.

Hey Birgit, why not let the 'big blow' to the work? :)

TB
Advertisement