UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884511  
Subject: Re: Adult bunk beds? Date: 3/23/2013 3:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Bunk-beds are fairly permanent takers of space, you can't really take them down and store them when you don't have company. Have you considered air mattresses?

For longer than overnight stays you could set them on there sides during the day and only flat at night.

Yes, I've used air mattresses. Over time, it isn't enough.

Let me explain that I live in a NYC one-bedroom apartment. The legend of NYC apartments (real ones, not the type of television series fantasies) are that we tend to have small apartments and limited closet and living space. Specifically we are somewhat limited in horizontal space, but ceilings are usually at least nine feet high (when lucky, one has even higher ceilings). Local residents tend to learn how to make everything as multifunctional as possible.

My ideal scenario would be something like what I have heard about Navy submarine sleeping arrangements which include the use of "bunks," "berths," or "racks," which apparently are something like sophisticated, but streamlined metal shelf frame built into the walls of the submarine cavity itself. The shelf can be folded closed (upwards and flush against the wall) when not being slept in, but then opened again for sleeping purposes. Uncertain if these are two or three together (one above the other). Obviously this would not be LBYM for me since this type of setup would require major permanent renovations to walls, floors, and ceilings as well as being able to find such equipment.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/faq.html

25. Where do Submariners sleep?

On U.S. Navy submarines, living quarters are called "berthing areas" that provide no more than 15 square feet of space per man for sleep and personal belongings. On most submarines, each crewman's bed (called a bunk, berth or rack) has a reading light, a ventilation duct, an earphone jack for the ship's audio entertainment system, and a curtain to provide a small (but welcome) measure of privacy. The crewmen store their clothing and personal belongings in a sturdy pan-like locker beneath their mattress. When a U.S. Navy submarine is at sea, lights in the berthing areas are normally dimmed. About one third of the crew is asleep at a time because submarines operate 24 hours a day. The crew works in shifts, normally six hours on, 12 hours off. Only the captain and executive officer of the submarine have private rooms, called staterooms, in which to work and sleep. Sometimes, there are more people onboard than there are regular bunks. When this happens, a few of the crewmen have to sleep in makeshift bunks in the torpedo room. These temporary bunks are fitted on storage racks where torpedoes and missiles are normally kept. Space is always very limited on submarines, and there are very few large or open spaces where people can make a bed.

After reading the above information, sometimes I think that when my apartment is to full capacity, it feels a bit like living in a sardine can, or submarine.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement