UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20  
Subject: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/14/2005 12:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello, all! I asked for this board to have someplace to practice my Italian, as I find it's much easier to learn a language when immersed in it.

The idea is to provide a safe learning environment for those interested in starting to learn Italian, improving their grammar or vocabulary, or helping others do the same.

So with that, sit back, relax, pour yourself a nice chianti, and watch the sun set over the Tuscan hills as we wait for the first course.

:)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kathy3023 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/14/2005 2:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<uncloak>Buon giorno a voi...

E buona fortuna!!

Hopefully, I actually said something that makes sense.

I'm glad you started this board, and I will be lurking...

Kathy<cloaking>

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/14/2005 5:28 PM
Buon giorno Kathy - si, Lei ha parlato qualcosa.

Ha parlato (penso) "Good day to us...and good luck!!"

Hi Kathy - yes, you said something. You said (I think) "Good day to us...and good luck!!".

I'm glad you started this board, and I will be lurking...

I'm glad someone has shown up! :) Kindof hard to practice by yourself. :)

Di dovè, Lei? Sono di Fremont, CA, negli Stati Uniti.

Where are you from? I'm from Fremont, CA, in the United States.

Oh, and by the way - I'm a TOTAL beginner at Italian, so if you see any mistakes or have any questions (probably meaning I misspelled something or used the wrong word), please feel free to correct me!

Author: kathy3023 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/14/2005 6:06 PM
Io sono di Fallbrook, CA, anche negli Stati Uniti.

I have an introductory reader for beginning Italian students, called Dialoghi Simpatici. If you wanted, I could include some of the little stories that start each chapter. They are funny and educational.

Here's a sample:

Alla dogana [customs] dell'aeroporto internazionale Leonardo da Vinci - Roma.

Il signor Bruni e di Roma. Ritorna da un viaggio a Nuova York. Ora si trove nella dogana e parla col doganiere.

D: Benvenuto, signore. Ha fatto un bel viaggio?
B: Magnifico, signore, un viaggio magnifico. Nuova York e una citta stupenda.
D: Ha pronta la dichiarazione? [customs declaration]
B: Quale dichiarazione?
D: Vino, liquori, sigari, sigarette?
B: Lei e molto gentile, signore. Preferisco un caffelatte.

<Rim shot>
Okay, so maybe it's hoaky, but I could understand all of it.

What do you think?

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/14/2005 6:56 PM
Okay, so maybe it's hoaky, but I could understand all of it.

What do you think?

Hey - I'm definitely down for hoaky. The fact that I also understood it was pretty helpful. ;) So sure, fire away! We'll see if any other folks show up and start posting, but in the meantime, I'm always game for a short story. Are they easy to type in? If it's easier for you, we could just have an easy conversation. Whichever you'd like.

Io sono di Fallbrook, CA, anche negli Stati Uniti.

Dovè Fallbrook? Circa Los Angeles? Ho vivuto in Los Angeles per cinque anni, primo la mia moglie è io muoversi a Nuova York - Manhattan. Allora Nuova Jersey, allora Fremont. Noi muoversi ogni due anni, penso...

Where's Fallbrook? Near LA? I lived in LA for 5 years, before my wife and I moved to NY - Manhattan. Then NJ, then Fremont. We move every two years, I think...

(Again, providing the English because my confidence in actually saying what I think I'm saying is low... ;)

Author: kathy3023 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/15/2005 3:40 PM
I think it's funny that two people, neither of whom is sure that what they are saying is correct, chose to have a conversation. But since there is nobody else - so far, and temporarily, I hope - is around to criticize, might as well.

Anche io e vivuto a Nuova York, na Manhattan. Ho vivuto a Manhattan per quatordici anni. Sono in California per ventitre anni.

Fallbrook e in gli provincia di San Diego, en gli nord.

Ha trovato lei un buon [dictionary] italiano [online]?

My use of "gli" in the sentences above doesn't feel right...

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/18/2005 6:24 PM
Anche io e vivuto a Nuova York, na Manhattan. Ho vivuto a Manhattan per quatordici anni. Sono in California per ventitre anni.

Fallbrook e in gli provincia di San Diego, en gli nord.

One of the particularly sticky hurdles I have to get over is the contractions in Italian.

I'm pretty sure "Anche io" is contracted to "anch'io", and "in gli" is contracted to "negli". (I'm not sure what "en" is - should it maybe be "in"?)

Ha trovato lei un buon [dictionary] italiano [online]?

Questo è il dizionario che uso:
http://tools.search.yahoo.com/language/?fr=slv

Non a molto bene, ma lavora. Anch'io ascolto un "CD imparare Italiano" duranti il mio permuti. Non è male. É questo:

http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/product.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1239541083.1129674091@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfmhmgfddcefecegedfhfdhgj.0&uniqueKey=1129674215843&productID=BK_LILA_000015

Attempted translation:
This is the dictionary I use:
<link>
It's not great, but it works. I also listen to a "Learn Italian CD" during my commuute. It's not bad. It's this one:
<link>

Author: kathy3023 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/19/2005 1:42 AM
You're right, negli sounds right.

Si voglie andare alle XX Giochi Olimpici Invernale a Torino in 2006, lei forse lo potere. Andate a www.oroweat.com e entrate negli [sweepstakes}.

Trying to say:
{If you want to go to the XX Winter Olympic Games in Torino in 2006, you perhaps can do so. Go to www.oroweat.com and enter the sweepstakes.}

E perche voglie lei apprendere Italiano?

Per me, e il semplice piacere di ascoltarlo e de parlarlo.

Ho trovato un dizionario [online] interesante a:

http://www.dicts.info/di1.php?k1=1&k2=53

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/19/2005 12:39 PM
Si voglie andare alle XX Giochi Olimpici Invernale a Torino in 2006, lei forse lo potere. Andate a www.oroweat.com e entrate negli [sweepstakes}.

I think 2nd-person formal (side question: would you prefer using formal or familiar?) "you want" is "vuoli". Volere is one of those crazy modal irregular verbs. I *think* it's: voglio (I want), vuoli (you want, familiar), vuole (he, she, it, you formal want), vogliamo (we want), volete (you plural want), vogliono (they want). But let me know if that doesn't jive.

I'm still learning the reflexive verbs, so I'm not sure of lo potere...I think I'd probably say (for "maybe you can") as forse Lei puo fare. I also think in written Italian, if you're using the formal "you", the "Lei" gets capitalized to distinguish from "she" (lei).

Ho voluto apprendere Italiano per un viaggio in Italia abbiamo fatto in Venti-zero-quattro. É stato un viaggio bennissimo!

Grazie per il disionario - e molto interressante!

{I wanted to learn Italian for a trip to Italy we took in 2004. It was the best trip!
Thanks for the dictionary - it's very interesting!}

Author: kathy3023 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/20/2005 4:05 PM
Gamemaker,

I think with two of us, this ain't working. I'll continue to lurk and see if anybody else stops by.

Thanks, anyway, for starting it.

Take care and buona fortuna!

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/21/2005 4:27 PM
Ok, kathy - no worries. Feel free to mention this board on other Fool boards you frequent if you think it might help others show up.

Ciao for now.

Author: hamm3r Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/31/2005 3:28 PM
Sooooo close...Everything is right except "you want" is vuoi.

I'm not fluent, but I took it for gee...5 and a half years....and don't use it.... :(

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 10/31/2005 5:20 PM
Yay! More people. :)

Sooooo close...Everything is right except "you want" is vuoi.

DOH! Yeah, I have to work on those irregular verbs.

Buon giorno, hamm3r! Come sta, Lei? Dov'e ha preso italiano per cinque anni? Nella università? O, forse, ha abitato in Italia?

Hello, hamm3r! How are you? Where did you take Italian for 5 years? In university? Or, perhaps, did you live in Italy?

Welcome aboard - feel free to correct anything you see wrong, especially the accent marks - I'm not sure I really have a handle on all the contractions and accents that happen in written Italian.

Thanks!

Author: hamm3r Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 11/1/2005 10:49 AM
Cosi, Cosi. Attualmente, sto molto bene, grazie! Avere bisogno di corretto lo sbaglio nel tuo messaggio. Non e` corretto usare "prendere" in italiano pella parole imperato. "Dov'e` ha imparato italiano per cinque anni?"

Non sono un esperto, ma ho riconosco quello sbaglio. :)

Attualmente, anche io fatto uno sbaglio! Ho studiato italiano per otto anni (Dio mio!). Ho studiato per tre anni nella scuola media. Ho studiato per quattro anni nel liceo. Ho studiato per un' anno nella universita.

Ho vivo e studiato negli Stati Uniti!

Sfortunatamente, non ho parlato per diciasette anni! Anche io in bisogno di aiuto!

I'm doing so-so. Actually, I am doing very well, thank you! I need to correct a mistake in your message. It is not correct to use "take" in italian for the word "learn". correction is: "Dov'e` ha imparato italiano per cinque anni?"

I am not an expert, but I have recognized that mistake :)

Actually, I made a mistake myself! I studied italian for 8 years (my God!) I studied for 8 years in middle school. I studied for 4 years in high school. I studied for 1 year in college.

I lived and studied in the United States!

Unfortunately, I have not spoke for 17 years! I also need help!

Ciao!

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 11/1/2005 7:56 PM
Cosi, Cosi. Attualmente, sto molto bene, grazie! Avere bisogno di corretto lo sbaglio nel tuo messaggio. Non e` corretto usare "prendere" in italiano pella parole imperato. "Dov'e` ha imparato italiano per cinque anni?"

Ah - graziè per la riforma. E' stato un idioma Englese, penso. Ma...ho una domanda: Perche ha detto "avere bisogno di" anzichè "ho bisogno di"?

Ah - thanks for the correction. It was an English idiom, I think. But...I have one question: Why did you say "avere bisogno di" instead of "ho bisogno di"?

Non sono un esperto, ma ho riconosco quello sbaglio. :)

Si - sono sicuro che farò multi sbaglii in nostro conversazione.

Yes, I'm sure I'll be making many mistakes in our conversation.

Attualmente, anche io fatto uno sbaglio! Ho studiato italiano per otto anni (Dio mio!). Ho studiato per tre anni nella scuola media. Ho studiato per quattro anni nel liceo. Ho studiato per un' anno nella universita.

Ho vivo e studiato negli Stati Uniti!

Sfortunatamente, non ho parlato per diciasette anni! Anche io in bisogno di aiuto!

Beh - e molto gentile aiutarmi. Lo apprezzo!

Well - it's very kind of you to help me. I appreciate it!

Oh - e' perchè dica "Attualmente, sto molto bene"? Ha avuto del buone notizie recentemente?

Oh - and why do you say "Actually, I'm very well"? Have you had some good news recently?

Author: whyohwhyoh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 12/6/2005 11:21 AM
I'll continue to lurk and see if anybody else stops by.

Je just trouv cette board, mais je parle the Francais, pas le Italian.

Desole.

Aussi, je suis illitirate en le Francais, je just peu parle et ecoute, pas ecris ou li.

--
whyohwhyoh

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 20
Subject: Re: Buon giorno, e benvenuto! Date: 12/7/2005 10:36 PM
Whoa. I actually think I understood that. Amazing what context can do... :0)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement