UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59087  
Subject: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 7:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
In the opinion of this retired Navy guy, Pres. Bush recently missed a great opportunity to send a positive message to the troops being injured in Iraq. He could have had his colonoscopy done at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, which has come under so much fire in recent months for its alleged shoddy treatment of some injured Iraq war vets. To be sure, Pres. Bush would have gotten royal treatment there and would not have had to put up with any inconveniences (other than the procedure itself - inconvenient no matter where it is done). But, by going there, he would have been telling the troops, “Hey, your Commander-in Chief goes to the same health care facility that you do. My administration has done so much to set things right at Walter Reed that I’m perfectly comfortable going there.” Instead, he had it done at the Presidential Retreat at Camp David. Maybe the right choice for him from a standpoint of convenience, but was it the right overall message? In terms of setting an example, I think he blew it.

friar1610
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8494 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 7:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 29
Instead, he had it done at the Presidential Retreat at Camp David. Maybe the right choice for him from a standpoint of convenience, but was it the right overall message? In terms of setting an example, I think he blew it.

As IF he gives a crap what the troops think.

=
.....pun intended

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8495 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 8:31 PM
Recommendations: 4
With the security required for the President, they would have had to shut down most of an operating room for hours - and would have had to do security background checks on dozens of people.

Now how many vets would have been 'inconevienced' just show we could have a show of 'medical care' at John Hopkins????? How many surgeries delayed or postponed, that might be critical????

The other issue is of knowing exactly when the President was 'incapacitated' for the few minutes it took to do the colonoscopy. No sense telling your enemies exactly when that was.

It's time for my second colonoscopy..been about 3 1/2 years...will do this fall.....lotta bucks.....insurance covers about 2/3rds...done at a special facility where they do them all day long..not in a hospital.

t.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8496 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 9:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
>> Instead, he had it done at the Presidential Retreat at Camp David. Maybe the right choice for him from a standpoint of convenience, but was it the right overall message? In terms of setting an example, I think he blew it. <<

I hear what you're saying, but in terms of security and disruption of facilities, I think it was better that he stayed away.

I heard the same criticisms of Bush after Katrina, and I think this is similar. Yes, as a symbolic gesture it would have seemed nice for the president to go to "ground zero" and survey the damage and comfort the victims...but there were so many relief vehicles that the added security requirement would have impeded the relief effort. Furthermore, if he flew into New Orleans, it might have created a massive no-fly zone that could have created a logistical nightmare with respect to planes and helicopters helping in the relief effort.

IMO, there are plenty of substantive reasons for lefties to think this president has blown it. Arguing over matters of symbolism seem pretty low on the list.

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8497 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 9:39 PM
With the security required for the President, they would have had to shut down most of an operating room for hours - and would have had to do security background checks on dozens of people.

It ain't all that hard - he gets his annual physical at Bethesda Naval Hospital every year (as most presidents in recent history have done) - what's different?

friar1610

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8498 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 9:43 PM
Recommendations: 5
IMO, there are plenty of substantive reasons for lefties to think this president has blown it. Arguing over matters of symbolism seem pretty low on the list.

Point #1: I ain't a "leftie".

Point #2: Sometimes symbolism (sometimes called "leadership") is important.

And as I mentioned in a previous post, Pres. Bush routinely goes to a miliary hospital - announced in advance - for his annual physicals. I don't see how this differs.

friar1610

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8499 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 9:49 PM
Recommendations: 1

I think you're wrong there. Remember a few years ago when he went to Iraq for Thanksgiving with the troops? (I'm not being sarcasctic here.) I posted on TMF that I thought he was showing good leadership there, although some folks disagreed with me.

The bottom line, IMO, is that leaders have to do stuff from time to time that may be inconvenient in order to send an important message. I thought Pres. Bush did a good job of doing so at that Thanksgiving dinner. I think he missed an opportunity more recently.

friar1610

Author: MrCheeryO Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8500 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 10:48 PM
Recommendations: 6
I wonder which plan Mr. Bush has.

http://apps.opm.gov/rates/non_postal.cfm?year=2007&state=dc

High end 1000 a month family plan, I suppose.

In British Columbia, premiums are payable for MSP coverage and are based on family size and income. The monthly rates are:
$96 for a family of two
$108 for a family of three or more
http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html

Colonoscopy Colorectal Neoplasms - Detection in Asymptomatic Adults
• Full Guideline (PDF 360K)
• Patient Guide (PDF 102K)
http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/gpac/alphabetical.html

Are Mr. Bush and federal employees in DC getting 10 times better care? Nope.

$4.1 billion surplus for province

"A big surplus means a big investment in our future," said Taylor, in the news release. "We are building health-care facilities to meet the needs of an aging population, we are upgrading transportation networks to keep our economy moving, and we are expanding post-secondary spaces for our youth. Our surplus allows us to do this and still reduce B.C.'s debt."
http://tinyurl.com/33ndnp

All happening just due north and stone's throw from Seattle and Washington state. How do they do it? Cuz they want to?

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8501 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/22/2007 10:58 PM

I think you're wrong there. Remember a few years ago when he went to Iraq for Thanksgiving with the troops? (I'm not being sarcasctic here.) I posted on TMF that I thought he was showing good leadership there, although some folks disagreed with me.

yup. i disagree with you on that.

all things considered, it still strikes me as a publicity stunt --done for hisownself
..but if the troops actually saw it supportive ..that's cool.

for me, he just always comes across as the most insincere, self-centered person is public life.

The bottom line, IMO, is that leaders have to do stuff from time to time that may be inconvenient in order to send an important message.

there i agree .... and going to WalterReed could have been a nice thing to do.

and disagree with both righties and lefties about Katrina

=

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8502 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 12:25 AM
Recommendations: 13
He had to go to Camp David because of the very sensitive confidentiality issues involved in retrieving new Judicial appointees from his colon.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8503 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 1:00 AM
Recommendations: 0
He had to go to Camp David because of the very sensitive confidentiality issues involved in retrieving new Judicial appointees from his colon.

makes sense to me....

i'm too lazy to research it , but .....

they use a big, expensive & fragile looking machine to do colonoscopy ... and they do it in a semi-sterile environment.

i doubt (but wouldn't be surprised to be wrong) that Camp David has a colonoscopy machine and clean room ... wonder if it cost more than $400 to move in a machine and sterilize a room?

-
....ot ..saw something recently about how they didn't use to use anesthetic for colonoscopy, and psych guys used the patients to test Pain and memory of pain

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8504 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 5:36 AM
http://www.poopreport.com/Consumer/Content/Colonoscopy/colonoscopy.html

animated version of the test here

http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourhealth/healthgate/getcontent.asp?URLhealthgate=%2214795.html%22

It's now time for tele to get his second colonoscopy.....the President is setting a good example....will schedule one this week..... been 3 1/2 years or so. (the next one will be on Medicare - this one I pay a big chunk of)

t.

Author: inhanyt Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8505 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 6:55 AM
I consider the period during which Dumbya was unconscious for this operation to be the apogee of his leadership. <g>

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8506 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 8:43 AM
ONe thing that I still don't understand:

HOw did they get the scope pass Dubya's head?

Maybe that's why the procedure was done at Camp DAvid?

buzman

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8508 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 9:38 AM

Leave me out of this.

IF

Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8512 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 6:01 PM
Bush didn't even need a colonoscopy. Karl Rove suggested he get one so he would have a better understanding of how the public feels after six years of the Bush Administration.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8513 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 7:41 PM
And as I mentioned in a previous post, Pres. Bush routinely goes to a miliary hospital - announced in advance - for his annual physicals. I don't see how this differs.

He's found out recently that military hospitals suck?

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8517 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/23/2007 8:18 PM
"Bush didn't even need a colonoscopy. Karl Rove suggested he get one so he would have a better understanding of how the public feels after six years of the Bush Administration."

From my experieince and what I've read from others, you are knocked out so you have no clue to what is going on. And there was no pain or after effects afterwards, although they don't want you driving home..you need to have someone drive you home since some have lingering effects from the anthesia.

Did you mean the public is getting health check ups and keeping an eye on their weight, like the Pres? Getting lots of exercise. That would be a good thing.

t.

Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8533 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/24/2007 11:13 AM
Did you mean the public is getting health check ups and keeping an eye on their weight, like the Pres? Getting lots of exercise. That would be a good thing.

No, I meant the public has been taking it in the shorts. The anesthesia is the reason why Bush was elected to a second term. I mean, there is no other plausable explaination.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8582 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/24/2007 6:01 PM
No, I meant the public has been taking it in the shorts. The anesthesia is the reason why Bush was elected to a second term. I mean, there is no other plausable explaination.

Readyteddy
--------------------

Please, why did this only get my 1 rec so far?

Truisms are true.

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8583 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/24/2007 6:03 PM
Please, why did this only get my 1 rec so far?

Because this board is supposed to be about early retirement, not about pointless (if well deserved) potshots at Bush. We've got a couple of boards for that already.

Just a theory.

- Gus

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8593 of 59087
Subject: Re: Bush Colonoscopy Date: 7/24/2007 6:40 PM
Because this board is supposed to be about early retirement, not about pointless (if well deserved) potshots at Bush. We've got a couple of boards for that already.

But only if you're willing to descend into the deepest pit of Hell.

PA reminds me of C.S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce".

Churchy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement