Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: BigOFool Two stars, 250 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25234  
Subject: Business 401k or not? Date: 7/13/2012 11:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a question or more to the point are looking for advice in my particular situation. I work for a company that offers me a 401K with a match up to 6%. My wife’s job offers a 403B with no match. We are both contributing the max allowed. Me $22,500 (I’m over 50), my wife $17,000. Both plans are pretty lousy when it comes to investment choices and I would really like to be able to invest the money my self using the Fool. I have a small business that provides enough income for us to be able to maximize our contributions to these plans. I was thinking if it would be best to start a 401k in my company, stop contributing to our employer’s accounts and contribute to the 401k of my business? (That is if I can create a 401k that would allow investments in stocks).

If I would do this I would still contribute to my employer’s 401k (6%) in order to preserve the match. I know there is some costs associated with having a 401k plan for my business but I believe that being able to control how the money is invested will more than make up for this.

I know there are people in this board that know a whole lot about these matters and was looking for ideas and/or advice about my particular situation.

Also my company has about 15 employees all of them working part time. I thought this information might be important if I was to match any 401k money (if this is at all possible).

Thank you all for you comments and/or advice in advance.

Fool On!

Big O Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement