No. of Recommendations: 0
What states are folks moving to or from. Folks are fleeing East & Midwest for the South. There still is an influx to the West but it is muted.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-28/americas-mov...

Moving to Top 5:
TX
NC
VA
MD
CO

Moving from Top 5:
NY
OH
NJ
IL
IN
Print the post Back To Top
"For the seventh consecutive year, Washington, D.C., had the highest percentage of inbound moves, 63 percent."

I'm sorry but YUCK! NO way do I want to live in Washington D.C. It's a great place to go on a little vacation but then it's time to leave. And if you still have some vacation time left go to the Outer Banks of North Carolina which is a great place to vacation.

I've been to D.C. several times. Linda lived and worked there for a while. We went all over the place when we visited her. And I've been there a few times with Bonnie when she was in meetings there. I liked staying there for a few days but no way do I want to live there. Sorry, but no thanks.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
I liked staying there for a few days but no way do I want to live there

Maybe the percentage is high because few are able to leave.

Why can't they leave? It's a free country.

Why can't they leave? It's a free country.

Residents are mostly low income with limited education. With the culture of poverty and failure, moving out isn't an option.

Most of those working in the Pentagon and other government agencies don't live in Washington DC. It has been a few years since my cousin worked for the DOE and lived in Virginia. Maybe my information is out of date. I haven't seen anything that has changed my perception of Washington DC.

Its high because it is a small area with small population so a smaller number of persons moving to DC reflects a high percent of the population. But if we look at the actual number of people moving; then Texas is #1. But since Texas is huge the per cent increase is small.
Its high because it is a small area with small population so a smaller number of persons moving to DC reflects a high percent of the population. But if we look at the actual number of people moving; then Texas is #1. But since Texas is huge the per cent increase is small.

I thought the percentage was moving in/moving out. It isn't clear from the article what is being measured.
With the culture of poverty and failure, moving out isn't an option.

Moving out is most certainly an option. People have been moving out and onward for centuries. Nuthin' but an excuse for putting one's hand out for government largesse.
Moving out is most certainly an option. People have been moving out and onward for centuries. Nuthin' but an excuse for putting one's hand out for government largesse.

Yep, multi-generation conditioning from government support. The results are not unexpected.
Yep, multi-generation conditioning from government support. The results are not unexpected.

You turning conservative, vkg? <grin>

Uncle Sam's Plantation: How Big Government Enslaves America's Poor and What We Can Do About It
http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Sams-Plantation-Government-Ensla...
Happy balloon day vkg.

MetalDecathlete
Happy balloon day vkg.

Thank you, I hadn't noticed. I had less gray hair 15 years ago.
I'm sorry but YUCK! NO way do I want to live in Washington D.C. It's a great place to go on a little vacation but then it's time to leave. And if you still have some vacation time left go to the Outer Banks of North Carolina which is a great place to vacation.

I've been to D.C. several times. Linda lived and worked there for a while. We went all over the place when we visited her. And I've been there a few times with Bonnie when she was in meetings there. I liked staying there for a few days but no way do I want to live there. Sorry, but no thanks.

Art

For a diehard urbanist like me, Washington DC has some great neighborhoods. And excellent mass transit. Their subway system is phenomenal -- better than Chicago's, IMO. I'd live in a neighborhood like Dupont Circle in a heartbeat. It is very expensive, though.
With the culture of poverty and failure, moving out isn't an option.

I've heard and read that quite a few poor people are leaving Chicago for places like Iowa and Minnesota, which allegedly offer more generous welfare benefits.
I've heard and read that quite a few poor people are leaving Chicago for places like Iowa and Minnesota, which allegedly offer more generous welfare benefits.

Fare on the Amtrak is what, less than a hundred bucks to many places.

http://www.amtrak.com/cheap-train-tickets-to-raleigh-nc-atla...

Poor li'l helpless librul lovers. Boo hoo hooooo! Cry me a river.
Fare on the Amtrak is what, less than a hundred bucks to many places.

If your city has Megabus service, fare can be way cheaper than Amtrak even. Especially if you book far enough in advance. A few years ago I rode Megabus from Chicago to Cleveland for only $23 round trip.
Andrew
For a diehard urbanist like me, Washington DC has some great neighborhoods. And excellent mass transit. Their subway system is phenomenal -- better than Chicago's, IMO. I'd live in a neighborhood like Dupont Circle in a heartbeat. It is very expensive, though.

You have to be careful there though, especially if you are gay.

My gay nephew used to work for "Congressional Quarterly" in DC. He left work late one night for the metro (subway in DC)". At the station, 6 or 7 black young thugs beat the living sh!t out of him. He is a fairly big guy and got in a few punches before they knocked him down, yelled gay slurs at him and then stole all his valuables after he lay unconcious.

It was recorded as a hate crime. He was fortunate to not have any broken bones or major injuries other than a concussion. He recovered fairly well after a month. The thugs were never caught. Imagine that in DC.

Metal
Advertisement