UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (110) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75523  
Subject: Re: What age to take SS payments? Date: 12/9/2013 11:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
But as I have tried to explain in far foreshortened fashion, at a certain point the "extra" money is pretty well useless, at least if you have prepared yourself for the basic elder-care responsibilities. So if you die before age 82, you "win" with "more quantity", and if you die at age 89 you "lose" with less quantity, but I'd submit that the difference is going to be irrelevant since the extra $300 ($500, whatever) a month isn't going to buy you anything you won't already have and don't already not need at that advanced age.

It isn't irrelevant - it can be over $1000 a month, and over $200,000 extra income over a lifetime for a couple. Also, it need not be "extra" in the sense of it being a pay raise. You present it as a false choice of more money now or more money later. It is not an either/or. It can often be simply, "both."

In my experience, many couples want a consistent income stream with a hedge against inflation, that SS currently provides (though not always at parity). Often I have seen where, for example, the plan is to live off of $3000 a month now in income and wait until SS can replace that amount or higher, then turn on SS. The goal being not to get an extra few hundred more but to create consistent income that cannot be lost due to poor market performance.

Everyone's situation is different and I continue to question both the hostility and the flippant nature by which people seem to dismiss others their unique scenarios - and even that $500 a month to some couples is HUGE. Not everyone retires with a massive safety net. Most will retire with less than $100,000 in investments and will need all the SS they can get and if they are more concerned with their standard of living than their heirs, income will be more important than inheritance.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (110) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement