Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39312  
Subject: Re: 500 index vs total stock market Date: 5/17/2001 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
But does it make sense to diversify beyond and index fund (say an international index fund for example) if my account balance is less than $5,000 I would have to pay $10/fund plus $10/index fund. That's $40 a year just to have the fund vs. $20 if I have only one fund. I wonder if the return would offset the cost? (depending on how long it would take me reach $5000 in my Roth)

Rob,

The following is a one of my prior posts about Vanguard Fees...with one bit of additional information that I neglected to include on the first one.

Vanguard Fee Structure for IRA Accounts:

Custodial Fee: $10/year for every fund, index or not, in the account that has less than 5k. Custodial Fees are waived if you have a combined total of 50k in all of your accounts.

Maintenance (Portfolio) Fee: For index funds only. Charged quarterly (if the dividends for that fund are paid out quarterly) for every fund that contains less than 10K.

For Taxable Accounts:

There are no custodial fees.

The maintenance fee (index fee) is the same as for the IRA accounts: $10/year, usually paid out of your dividends, and charged quarterly ($2.50) if the dividends are paid quarterly. (If the dividends are paid annually, such as for the Small Cap Index Fund, then they are charged annually.)

There is a low-balance $10/year charge for accounts that fall below $2500.

For all accounts, taxable and tax-advantaged:

Maintenance fees are not waived with the 50K combined total. To waive an index (maintainence fee) you must have that 10K in each fund.

Additionally, the following article might be of interest to you.

Article on Vanguard v. TIAA
http://www.indexfunds.com/articles/20001115_VG-TIAA_com_tax_JK.htm

Caat

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement