UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: Re: Toilet problems (tank leaking) Date: 3/20/2012 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
But I admire your willingness to tackle the project.

Thank you. Frankly if I didn't have my strong, young willing friend, I would have never tried to tackle it by myself.

As a bit of an update, last night after posting on this board (I think it took me more than half an hour to compose it and post), I posted on the LBYM board and got a nice response with some advice at http://boards.fool.com/i-have-replaced-my-share-of-flush-val...

Short story, the rec was to get plumber's putty PLUS a thing I am calling the "external seal." I've updated it and so far, still trying to figure out a method since I can't yet find this "external seal" in any of the local hardware stores. Am frustrated. Right now, this moment, I am seriously debating just using "plumber's putty" as the only additional element to try and stop the leak.

Since March (and next month, April) is a tight month for me and my toilet tank started to give me problems just a few weeks ago, I felt it necessary to try and repair it on my own. As of this morning, I think I've spent about $50 on supplies (I have gotten a new flush valve assembly, fill valve, toilet handle, I can't remember what else, a pliers, plumbers putty ) If necessary, I can keep using the old bucket of water to flush until May, when I hope I'll have some room in my budget to hire a handyman (I just received a recommendation from a hardware store to consider this particular handyman, if I run out of do-it-yourself options).

LCD
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement