UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (104) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 737331  
Subject: Re: The vote of every thinking person Date: 11/16/2012 12:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
But I think all Americans should learn English, too.

So do I. But learning another language takes time, it's not instantaneous. And it's especially hard and time consuming for older adults. They can't snap their fingers and speak English.

When I was in Mexico City there was a good amount of English on signs, menus, notices, etc. Not a ton, but some. And while many people did not speak a bit of English, some spoke a little. I speak some Spanish, but I'm not quiet fluent.

Now, my boyfriend and I have talked about moving to Latin America. I picture myself if I was in the process of moving to Mexico with him and trying to find a job etc, and obviously I would immediately begin working intensely on my Spanish. But until I achieved substantial results, the English signs and broadcasts and newspapers etc would UNITE me with the culture of the place, not divide. A single-language ideology would be divisive. Having resources in English would give me more opportunity to become involved in the culture and the politics, to learn and communicate, and the more I do that the better my Spanish would get. If they had the nasty attitude that so many people have here over keeping other languages off of signs and ballots and whatnot, then my curve toward integrating would be much steeper.

I also picture what it would feel like to have people hear my broken but earnest efforts to speak Spanish and say "You're in Mexico, speak learn Spanish", treating me like some kind of ignorant or lazy person. What an incredible, unforgivable jerk that person would be!

Fortunately, people were universally nice, polite and friendly to me and tickled as all get-out that I was trying to speak their language.

That's just a better way to be, and it would make us a better, more united country.

Since you like twisting the positions of others, let me try it on you. Why do you hate English so? Is it simply so that Democrats can have more groups to pit against each other, keep in poverty and thus voting Democrat?

That's cute.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (104) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement