No. of Recommendations: 3
But I wanted to look at these numbers separately because I knew I wasn't doing so well this month but I was receiving a minor windfall at the end of it. With my last employer, we didn't receive a severance package at all. About a year and a half later, I received a check in the mail for $5400 from the class action lawsuit that followed the lay off. Normally, I would take about 10% of a windfall and have fun with it, but I have already schedule a $5400 payment to one of my credit cards tomorrow which pay it off completely. With the (little) progress that I've made this month, I dont' think I deserve the 10% splurging so it is all going to debt. The one good thing is that I was expecting about $4000 from the lawsuit and getting $5400 was a nice surprise.

Are there any tax consequences with the settlement? Sometimes lawsuit compensation is taxable. Paying $5400 now toward your debt is great, but not if it means that you end up owing $1350 that you don't have next April.

If you've checked it out, and won't owe taxes on it, that' great. But if you haven't, you might want to just put about $4000 toward your CC debt until you do.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement