Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
But if you are simply receiving income for your agreement not to compete, it's generally simply ordinary income and should be included in your W-2.

If you are not an employee then there is no reporting requirement for the payor - IE it is not a capital transaction reported on 1099-b nor is it a "service rendered" reported on 1099-misc.

Although some payors do report it as "other income" IMO it is not required.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.