No. of Recommendations: 1
But my point still stands---that when your total income is just your SS benefit, there's not a whole lot of difference between $2000/mo and $3520/mo. Neither is enough to pay for decent nursing home care.

SS's not meant to be an end all be all cure, rather one of the enhanced tools in your box. We are also maxing out the value of our pensions by delaying them and feel as though the 4% 30 year fixed mortgage we got last year on the purchase of our city home is like buying an annuity with an inflation hedge. By the time we are looking at assisted living/nursing homes we should have two paid off homes that we can sell or reverse mortgage, or rent at a good profit, even after management fees. And by delaying pensions, SS, we have some tax advantaged opportunities for Roth conversions that will hopefully net us more money in the long run. While none of this precludes our giving away all our funds in a fit of insanity, it at least provides us with more wiggle room if we give some of it away. There is no magic bullet, at least not one I have thought of.

We discussed this with the doctor and I mentioned a potential plan to accumulate a large supply of sleeping pills. The doctor, of course, didn't say anything verbally, just gave a slight nod and changed the subject.

I've thought of similar exit strategies but the problem is that you have to put these into operation when you are mentally present. Having witnessed multiple family members descend into Alzheimers it is remarkable the paranoid cunning and deception that evolves as the person in question devolves. The last 10 years with Dad were a nightmare and I have zero desire to foist that on to our kids should I start to devolve that way.

We are young enough to have time to figure that out and I need to look into some sort of trust. Don't know what other path to pursue. At least I recognize the potential problem and am not ignoring it.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement