UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ratherBgardening Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: asset allocation w/pension Date: 2/10/2007 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
But one danger you should be aware of is the high flyer that becomes addictive. Shortly after I retired, I was granted family and friends IPO shares in a startup that spun technology from a research center I had directed. The price of the stock rose so fast and was so exciting, wife wife insisted in investing all of her Keough funds in it. After rising to nearly $200 a share it precipitiously collapsed along with so many dot.coms. It's as bad as Martinis or pot, but maybe I had just made too many visits to One Palo Alto Square and 3000 Sand Hill Road.

I'm very familiar with that - I worked for one of those high fliers, and saw the "value" of my ESPP and options go from $100+ to $3-. As my father used to say, "We get so soon old and so late smart". Fortunately, I cashed out of a good part of my stock and options near the top, so although we didn't do as well as we could have, we did better than many of my coworkers who held out for even greater returns.

I like the idea of the bucket approach. I did the NPV calculation using Excel, and if I treated the pension as FI, then with a 50/50 allocation all my pretax accounts would be in equities. This made me feel quite nervous, which is why I made the original post. I'm now thinking of CDs or short term cash instruments for 5 years of income needed to make the difference between pension and living expenses (remembering to allow for income tax and inflation), and then the rest in a diversified allocation of equities. I'll check out the discussions on the DCA approach.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement