No. of Recommendations: 2
but RustyMath posits that a polygamist should vote yes on 8 so that discrimination is magnified.

I never said such a thing.

When you said,

I'll vote for Prop. 8 just as soon as someone can cogently explain why two persons of the same sex should be able to marry while 3 persons of any sex can't
I'm the one willing to change my vote

and assuming you meant to say I'll vote against Prop 8, it seems your inclination is to vote for 8 unless there was also a proposal to provide for multiple spouses.

I'll also assume you feel folks who want multiple spouses are being unreasonably and unequally discriminated against (if you don't feel that way, then maybe I've really missed your point in this thread).

Same-sex couples can marry now, but you'd specifically take away that right, seemingly on the basis that multiple spouses isn't allowed. That's where the "magnify the discrimination" comment comes from.

In fact, a polygamist would vote no on 8 knowing that a narrow definition of marriage would further restrict his chosen lifestyle.

Chosen lifestyle?

You might have just answered your own question (re same-sex marriage vs polygamy), as factors such as race and sexual orientation aren't "chosen lifestyles."
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement