Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
But since the mother owns the house, it could be diffcult to meet the "Support Test" needed to claim someone as a dependent (p. 24ff of IRS Publication 17), which requires that "you must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year."

Not necessarily. It depends on who's making the mortgage payments, paying the taxes and utilities, etc. While he couldn't deduct mortgage interest that he pays for her, he certainly could consider the payments in determining support.

Thanks for the replys. The house is completely paid for. I paid all the ultilities and other expenses for her, groceries etc.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.