Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (111) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wrnglrjan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58668  
Subject: Re: THE MATRIX ISN'T REAL. or is it? Date: 6/10/2003 12:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 34
But that does NOT mean that their body is in any way free from the paradigm - LESS INPUT & MORE OUTPUT = MASS LOSS (mass of course not including something like water, which may be retained and hide the weight loss one has experienced)

I think you're right about this. All anybody that wants to lose weight has to do is sufficiently decrease their calorie intake and/or increase their calorie usage. Eventually the discrepancy will be enough to cause weight loss.

But here's the point you're missing, over and over and over. (Seriously, dude, you're becoming a little cattleman-esque around this point.) All that stuff has a sometimes permanent effect on how your body processes calories. So if I drop down to 700 calories a day, with 2 hours of exercise, I would no doubt lose weight. Soon I would be a thin, happy, svelte 110-lb knockout.

Of course, all the the research shows that I would most likely have done permanent damage to my metabolism so that now, in order to maintain my newfound svelte figure, I would now have to exercise a mininum of an hour and a half a day, and could take in no more than 800 calories a day. Not to mention the possible damage I could have done to various important internal organs (you know, like the heart).

And then, God forbid, we, say, have a baby and need to lose weight again. Well, now 700 calories a day isn't low enough. In order to have any kind of meaningful loss, we have to go to, say, 400 calories a day. That's ... let's see, two hard boiled eggs, a cup of broccoli, a glass of milk and one slice of toast. Per day, mind you, not for a single meal.

So when we "whiners" complain about the difficulty of finding a diet that "works", we often mean more than just "makes me lose weight". We all know that starving ourselves would cause weight loss. But we're looking for a way that is sustainable, and not going to muck up our future ability to lose weight, should the need arise.

Capturing a snapshot of one moment in a person's life (your friend eating strawberries with fudge) and making assumptions about that person's entire life is, IMO, dangerous business. For all you know, that guy is on a very strict diet/exercise regimen that includes a "free" day. There are a lot of people who know about these things, that think that a free day is an excellent idea. It gives you a mental break, something to look forward to, and shakes up your routine a little. Or maybe he'd been saving up WW points all week in order to be able to splurge, as is totally acceptable, according to the plan. Or maybe he eats like a disgusting pig every single day. The point is ... you don't know.

I would respectfully suggest that you're wasting an incredible amount of energy on your anger/annoyance/frustration at the people that you perceive are not trying their hardest or the right way. And I also think (she said in the gentlest possible way) that you might be stepping on some toes on this board with your rants about "the whiners".

Jan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (111) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement