UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76395  
Subject: Re: Strategy comparison S&P500 vs. IUL [rev 1] Date: 4/4/2013 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
but the parameters, what-ifs, definitions and machinations have gotten so complicated as to render a comparison (S&P500 vs. IUL) moot.
The comparison is not moot at all. It *is* getting complicated. Largely because there are a lot of potential parameters.

I've been through this type of analysis & comparison before, on other proposed strategies. Invariably, the proponents keep kicking up dust and complaining that you neglected to take some important factor into account. And then when you incorporate the factors that they complained were missing -- they complain that it's too complex.

The practical reality is that an IUL...
This 8-bullet-point list is an example of what I mean by kicking up dust.

To take a few of them...
Pays a death benefit,
Geico quoted a 20 year level term life insurance for a 40 year old male for $400/yr. That's $500,000 death benefit. Cheap, and doesn't have any entanglements with your investment portfolio. And you don't have to worry about losing your insurance if you decide to liquidate the investment, or vice-versa.
A $1,000,000 policy is $725/yr.

~ Charges fees far lower (.75-1.20%) than mutual funds, 401(k) and IRA (3-4%).
Give me a break!
The expense ratio of SPY is 0.09%. That's NINE basis-points.
Fidelity Spartan is 10 bps.

blah blah blah

Compare the above against trading naked in the S&P500. No contest, in my opinion, albeit we don't seem to be able to arrive at a simple comparison of percentage gains via back testing.
Maybe you looked at the charts upside down??? I assuming you *did* look at them, right?

Because when I look at them, the IUL line is far far below the two S&P500 lines.
Not just a little bit below, where you have to squint to see the difference.
A lot bit below, as in $373,000 vs. off-the-top-of-the-chart-$1,116,000.
A little difference in that the "naked" "unhedged" S&P500 investment has a final value three (3) times larger that the IUL final value.
But then, maybe you're the type of person who doesn't mind leaving $743,000 on the table.

[More follows.]
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement