Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27657  
Subject: Re: The number of shares makes absolutely... Date: 1/27/2013 5:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
But you cannot trade fractional shares (except at mutual fund companies).

To expand on this = some brokers offer automatic reinvestment of dividends at no commission (such as the one I use TD Ameritrade) This results in the purchase of fractional shares, but only for the automatic reinvestment; I can't purchase 10.5 shares in a regular buy order. They do allow me to SELL fractional shares at the normal commission rate, but I believe only when I'm closing out my entire position.

Certain brokers such as sharebuilder and buyandhold work on a different business model, where they encourage investors to purchase in automatic round lots (such as $100 a week invested into a certain fund). When I used sharebuilder, all orders of this type were made on a specific day of the week, which allowed them to aggregate all their customers fractional orders and place one large market order. Buy orders done this way were only $4 a trade (all sell orders were real time and I think were $15). They also offered real time buy orders for $15, but no fractional shares.

Sharebuilder was a great way for me to start out and invest small amounts a week/month. They offered monthly plans, where for $12 a month I got 12 free automatic buy orders. This meant I could 3 purchases a week for $50 each, and it only cost me $2 a trade.

Hope this helps any new investors out there.

WRJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement