UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190031  
Subject: Re: Yet another Java flaw Date: 10/4/2012 3:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
But you still didn't quote me accurately. On re-reading the thread, it looks like you quoted parted of my message, and then added additional text that didn't come from any other message in this thread.

Between the two double lines is a copy & paste of what you wrote in message 182048, with the original formatting intact: http://boards.fool.com/hey-steven-you-said-wrong-on-both-cou...

========================================
Hey Steven,,, you said:

Wrong on both counts.

A Java VM is a virtual machine, and it's ancestor in spirit is the Pascal p-machine and p-code. Programmers write apps in Java (or Pascal), compile that code to Java bytecode (or P-code), and execute that code on a Java VM (or P-machine).
Java uses a two step compilation process. Java source code is compiled down to "bytecode" by the Java compiler. The bytecode is executed by Java Virtual Machine (JVM). The current version of Sun HotSpot JVM uses a technique called Just-in-time (JIT) compilation to compile the bytecode to the native instructions understood by the CPU on the fly at run time.

Yes you are!!!
========================================

The first part of that is indeed mine, but I did NOT write the part that starts "Java uses…"

I don't know if you're quoting another website, another message on this website, or something else entirely, but you're definitely NOT quoting me verbatim (as you later claimed).

I'd also like to respond to your message 182059, in which you wrote:
Then you bring in your convoluted comparison statements about, Pascal, Basic…

Actually, I didn't start down that path. My message was posted as a response to mmrmnhrm's message 182038, in which he said BASIC was the spiritual ancestor of Java. My point (with which I think you agree) is that the comparison is a poor one, since compiled Java code can be distributed to any platform that implements the Java VM, but that's not true of BASIC for which there is no VM. It is true of Pascal, and I'm hardly the first person to see the similarities between Java/bytecode and Pascal/p-code.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement