UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Sunnywiz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308847  
Subject: Buy a house or pay off cards Date: 4/21/1998 5:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I find myself in an interesting situation. I want to explain what that situation is, and maybe someone can tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Parameters:
I have a net income of $800/mo. (approx) (NEW JOB!)
I am $5000 in debt (approx) (cards+car loan. car loan is like 18% due to previous credit problems and age of car)
I want to buy a house rather than pay rent. Intend to sell the house in 4 years or so, when my gf and I get married. (Buy a bigger house then)
I have no liquid savings :(

If I pay off all my debt as quickly as I can, then build up my savings to the point that I can do an FHA+closing costs and get a house, I loose like a total of $300 in interest (that is, debt interest + credit savings combined). This would be in about 20 months. I could then purchase the house that I want.

On the other hand, if I pay off my debt at minimal rate, but build up my savings to the point where I can buy a house, I can buy the house in 16 months [or less, depending on the deal that is made]. Then, it would take me 5 months to get out of debt. Total interest lost: $1200.

It would seem better to go for the first plan, but I don't think it is.

The housing market here is booming about about 15% per year. The debt that I incur on the house translates into equity as the house appreciates in value, so that by buying it 1/3 a year sooner, then later selling the house at the same time, i supposedly can sell it for $2000 more than if I had waited that extra 4 months. [Assumption: Monthly compounding on the house. Maybe its only a yearly thing?]

In addition to that, by purchasing the house, i'm converting my fixed "rent" portion of my income into a "savings building" mortgage payment thing. It sort of gives me a bigger hammer with which to smash debt. I think. [not sure]

So, I'm going to pay minimum balance on my cards and attempt to save up to buy a house instead. It will go slower than I'd like ($565/mo after minimum monthlies are met rather than $800).

Any thoughts on this matter? Did I miss something? Am I making the best decision?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement