Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: konchan5009 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Buy and Hold? Date: 2/23/2009 5:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have always been a "Buy and Hold" investor, allowing myself to "play" with some small dollars. Over the years I have invested in mutual funds as the major tool for my portfolio. But, I have come to a crossroads in my philosophy. At my age (70) and with the condition of the economy, I'm thinking I may not be here before the economy comes back to a reasonable level. Sooooooo, are there any reasonable alternatives??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14735 of 19483
Subject: Re: Buy and Hold? Date: 2/23/2009 5:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We started to liquidate our stock portfolio in May 2005. Our last big thing to go was an annunity with MetLife. We got out of it 2 months before the Dow all time high in 2007. Paid the penalty, and still have a big profit to pay taxes on. So glad we did.

We are in CDs, some paying as much as 6.25% the lowest was some new ones at 4.39%. We've gone out 5 years. We are 65 and have been retired since age 51 in 1995.

I feel your concern, and suggest you also post your question over on the Bond and Fixed Income Investments here:

http://boards.fool.com/messages.asp?mid=27463340&bid=100...

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14736 of 19483
Subject: Re: Buy and Hold? Date: 2/23/2009 6:04 PM
I have always been a "Buy and Hold" investor, allowing myself to "play" with some small dollars. Over the years I have invested in mutual funds as the major tool for my portfolio. But, I have come to a crossroads in my philosophy. At my age (70) and with the condition of the economy, I'm thinking I may not be here before the economy comes back to a reasonable level. Sooooooo, are there any reasonable alternatives??

at my age (63), with the economy/market , i don't think i'll be around when they come back.

i've kept some funds, but am mostly in CDs ... tho they're pretty crappy rght now also

-

Author: HoracePuckey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14741 of 19483
Subject: Re: Buy and Hold? Date: 2/23/2009 8:13 PM
BCKitty: We started to liquidate our stock portfolio in May 2005.

Why did you do this? And why then? Dreams? Crystal Ball? Bad omens?

Seriously.

Horace

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14749 of 19483
Subject: Re: Buy and Hold? Date: 2/24/2009 4:29 PM
I have always been a "Buy and Hold" investor, allowing myself to "play" with some small dollars. Over the years I have invested in mutual funds as the major tool for my portfolio. But, I have come to a crossroads in my philosophy. At my age (70) and with the condition of the economy, I'm thinking I may not be here before the economy comes back to a reasonable level. Sooooo, are there any reasonable alternatives??

I am age 71 and my portfolio is now about 70% in fixed income and 30% in the market. The fixed portion is mostly CA munis with some CDs, corporate bonds and US govt. bond mutual funds. My market portion is diversified in mutual funds that consist of growth, value, small cap, mid-cap, large cap, global and international. I still believe I need some money in the market as a hedge against inflation. I am still in for the long run.

Author: temsike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14753 of 19483
Subject: Re: Buy and Hold? Date: 2/25/2009 11:26 AM
Recommendations: 1
mendomann wrote:
<iI am age 71 and my portfolio is now about 70% in fixed income and 30% in the market. The fixed portion is mostly CA munis with some CDs, corporate bonds and US govt. bond mutual funds. My market portion is diversified in mutual funds that consist of growth, value, small cap, mid-cap, large cap, global and international. I still believe I need some money in the market as a hedge against inflation. I am still in for the long run.

You are in an excellent position. It is very prudent and conservative to keep your age in a percent of fixed income.

My wife and I would like to leave an inheritance for our children so our "sweet spot" is "our age minus 10" in bonds. Since we are both 51 y/o, our port should be 60/40 equities/fixed income.

With the horrible market decline, we rebalanced to 70/30 in late December and are prepared to rebalance to 75/25 the coming December if the market has another horrible year.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement