No. of Recommendations: 11
buyandwin asks,

<<I'm kind of partial to the 5 to 10 basis points you'd be paying on a mix of low-fee index funds from Vanguard -- that's $500 to $1,000 per year. But I'd skip the "financial advice" service.>>

I've been reading a lot of your posts here and you sound like a very bright guy. I don't see why you don't manage your own money and save all the fees and at the same time you will probably get the results that will be far superior to the results attainable by the vast majority of money managers.

</snip>

I bought and sold individual stocks when I was in my 30's and 40's, but eventually you come to realize that any investment outperformance you've enjoyed is due more to luck than talent and intellect. Unless you're running a hedge fund with access to some kind of inside information, the market is completely rigged against the small investor. Don't confuse a bull market with investment acumen.

Once you've accumulated more than enough to live on, what the purpose in going out of your way to increase the stash? There's no glory in being the richest guy in the graveyard.

Investing in a mix of low-cost index funds is likely to beat the performance of 90% of active stock pickers.

If you told me I could go to engineering school, never open a book, take a test, or turn in a homework assignment, and still earn a salary higher than 90% of my peers -- I'd take that bet in a heart beat.

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement