No. of Recommendations: 34
buyandwin writes,

<<Are you delaying SS until 70?>>

No. I started receiving SS when I was 62 because I needed it. Continued working part time until I was 70. Then I've been retired for 14+ years So that makes me 84+. My SS checks have gone down the past few years because I've been making too much money and they increased my Medicare payments which have reduced my monthly SS checks. I wasted my whole life working and didn't start to make real money until I retired at 70 in July 2003 and started investing in the market. The market has paid all my expenses including Taxes and Gifts to family members as I have no pension or other means of income.

</snip>

Boy, I've seen that -- and it's terrible when it happens to a friend.

One of my occasional golf partners retired early from Exxon and never sold a share of stock in his 401k. Come age 70, he had an RMD North of $500,000/yr and the Medicare premium for him and his wife got jacked from about $200/month to $800/month. I told him that they're not cutting his Social Security -- they're just reducing the subsidy poorer taxpayers are giving him on his Medicare health insurance since he's wealthy and doesn't need it. It doesn't matter. He's inconsolable.

I vowed that would never happen to me. So I retired early in 1994 at age 38 once I realized I was "too rich, tall and handsome" to put up with the inconvenience of appearing in the office each day. I also started to whittle down the size of my IRA at age 40 with 72(t) penalty-free withdrawals and left my taxable account intact to grow for the next 20 years. I may still have an IRA at age 70 large enough to cause "RMD problems", but hopefully they'll be less severe.

When President Obama signed Obamacare into law in 2010, I was apparently one of the few people who actually "read the bill". I learned that you could have a $100 million stock portfolio and still get a big Obamacare tax subsidy if you reduce your dividend income. I've never been much of a dividend investor preferring to take my investment returns as capital gains. But I still spent the next 3 years retooling my portfolio to reduce what little dividend income I had to make it "Obamacare-ready". For 2017, I'm paying $54/month for a gold-plated Obamacare plan. I didn't have insurance this good when I worked for Exxon. <LOL>

Obamacare Repeal? My amazing story of drastically lower premiums.
http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/obamacare_2017.html

</snip>

My $10,000+ refundable Obamacare tax credit is enough to cover the fuel bill for the small aircraft I fly around the Pacific Northwest as a hobby. If you're complaining about Obamacare, you're doing your taxes wrong.

Reading and arithmetic are two life skills that are equally valuable when you're retired and living off your investment portfolio.

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement