Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jumpie Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15349  
Subject: Buying a business as an investment Date: 6/2/2012 2:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had a hard time finding which board I should post this on - hopefully this is good enough. I've always held the TMF community in high regard, and look forward to high quality feedback...


I have two questions, one specific, one slightly open-ended regarding a situation where I have a chunk of money and two choices of what to do with it.

Option 1 is invest. Option 2 is buy into a small business (retail store). The store is run by someone I trust and have known for 10 years. I'd be buying a 60% share in the store from this person (the other 40% is owned by someone else).

First question is what kind of financial planner/lawyer/CPA can I talk to about the pros and cons of buying the business? I'd like to talk to ONE person who has enough expertise in the relevant areas without having to bounce around between a lawyer, a CPA and a financial planner. (I'm in the San Francisco area if you have specific suggestions)

As for the open-ended question, I'm looking for advice if buying a business is a sane investment. My preliminary math seems to suggest that if the store continues to do as it has in the past, after about 10 years it would be better than investing at a 10% interest rate.

Say I have $100,000 to buy into the store or invest and the store would pay me $30,000 per year.

If I assume (over-simplified but good for comparison I think) 33% taxation on the business profits as well as on investment returns, I get:

Store: $20,000 net profit/year, so in 5 years, I made back the $100,000, in 10 years, that's $200,000

Investing: (assuming non-IRA of course) 10% returns minus 33% tax = 6.6% returns (compounded), so in 5 years $137,653 and in 10 years I have $189,483

(If I stash some of it in an IRA, maybe the investment option looks better? On the other hand, I can also start investing the store profits to bolster that option.)

Of course both scenarios have their risks of lesser returns, but is my basic math correct?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement