UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bunkerbob Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195  
Subject: Buying Foreign Stocks with E*Trade Date: 2/1/2007 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting a straight story from E*Trade. Based on a post on this board, I thought that I could buy foreign stocks through E*Trade at the regular $9.99 commission rate. But what I was told when I tried was that for $9.99 I could only buy OTC versions of the foreign stocks, offered by a market maker affiliated with E*Trade. The guy I spoke with seemed a little unsure of some of his facts, so I hoped that someone on this board might be able to provide additional info.

I wanted to buy two foreign stocks, one trading in Toronto, one in Paris. If you want to check them out yourself, they are the "Eveready Income Fund" (Yahoo quote EIS-UN.TO), and Pernod Ricard (RI.PA). I phoned E*Trade and was told that I had two choices. E*Trade offered an OTC option to buy the stocks in US dollars through a market maker. EISFF and PDRDF are the respective tickers. If I bought the stocks this way, I could buy them online and pay the usual $9.99 fee. Alternatively, if I wanted to buy them direct, I could be connected with a broker in Paris or Toronto who could place the order directly, but then I would have to pay a "Broker Assist Fee" estimated as $45, and also would have to deal with currency conversions.

The OTC offerings in both cases had bid/ask spreads that were much higher than those of the underlying exchange. eg. the bid/ask for the Pernod Ricard was about 0.1% of stock price on the exchange, and 0.75% on the OTC market maker quote. So on a complete cycle of buying and selling the stock, using say $10,000 as the principle amount, I would expect to lose the 0.65% difference in the bid/ask by using the OTC version, which is about $65. But I would save 2 * $45 broker assist fees or $90, and I would save any currency conversion spread between E*Trade buy and sell rates (I'm assuming E*Trade has a buy/sell spread on currency exchange, but I didn't confirm that). So I decided this time to go with the OTC option, but I'm not very happy about it since it is clearly more expensive than the $9.99 foreign trading that I had hoped for.

Has anyone found a better way to do this, either with E*Trade or another broker?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement