Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My son owes about 200.000 on his house worth qbout 450,000. I owe 90,000 worth about 500,000. I own a rental with a 130,000 mortgage worth about 450,000. This is what I am thinking so he can keep a house that is paid for . Can I sell mine and buy his mortgage and pay it off and put my name on the deed so we would both own the house ? Would this be subject to gift tax? I will move into my rental . He has a severe medical problem and I just want to make sure he has some place to live that is paid for . He does not qualify for ssi medical medicare or any other subsidies.
I hope this makes sense .
Thanks in advance .
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.