Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

One last thing: filing a US tax report is not the hell that americans make it appear to be. A simplified 1040NR (the tax form for Non-Resident) is 2 pages long, one of them being your infos and dependants. Last time I filled one, filling my adress was the most challenging thing on that form.

The headache of filing U. S. income tax forms is not the basic form (1040, 1040A, 1040NR, etc.). Rather, it's the plethora of "schedules," "workheets," and other supplemental forms that get attached thereto, coupled with rounding up all of the information that one needs to complete all of those forms (W-2's from employers, various 1099's from financial institutions and other payors, documentation of deductions and expenses, etc.). Last year, my federal tax return was about twelve pages as submitted -- and then most of the fifty states require a state tax return that is just as complicated as the federal tax return. Also, anybody who lives in one state and works in another typically must file tax returns in both states.

Print the post  


The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.