UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5748  
Subject: Re: Giving 250K without harm Date: 11/4/2006 11:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
c44:

thank you for your email... i am publicly apologising for my rudeness
in taking a swipe at your user name... that was uncalled for, and rather
childish.....i'm afraid that i took what you had to say far too personally, and no doubt my situation is quite different from that of
your heirs....

i must say that it disturbs me however, that you ASSUME the inheritance
will be, to use your words, pissed away... i understand that these are
not your children, and while it is extrememly generous of you to wish to
include them in your will, perhaps you dont know them well enough
to recognise that they may be people of character; ergo, you feel safer
exercising strict control...

my father was afraid i would either buy a ranch in my beloved kenya and move there, or else that i would fall prey to some dastardly fortune-hunter, or both, and so left me in an incredibly tight trust--(i was
48 yers old) with my mother as my trustee until she died 20 years later
at age 96.

my parents disapproved of my life style and tried to maintain tight control....(my mother used to say that the only way they could control
me was thru money)... but even with a restrictive trust they couldnt..

i had divorced my husband and took no alimony (just wanted out)..they disapproved..i left a highly prestigious job to open my own business with the 2 years severance pay i received, they disapproved,... sold my expensive park avenue apartment to buy a small affordable apartment in a less statusy neighborhood,..they disapproved.....PS: my biz is successful and i have lived very well and happily ever after.....
i have 3 warm and wonderful children, all in their 40's,` and i am
providing for them in ways that will give them opportunities to grow
and use their inheritances wisely as well as enjoyably.....there are no restrictions...i trust them and their integrity...

but i still resent the distrust and disapproval of my parents, and obviously that played a part in my irritation at you.

once again, i apologise for my rudeness in mocking your name.
but please, i urge you to loosen your grip a little...they will appreciate you more, and......
...managing money can be character building, y'know.

sincerely,
sashamore

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement