No. of Recommendations: 0
Another unintended consequence to Owebamacare. Congratulations to The Los Angeles Times for questioning whether Owebamacare is truly "awesome."

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-me-doctors-20130210,0,15093...

Insightful comment on the story: Maybe the Postal Service could add basic medical procedures and testing to their services. It would give them something to make up for the drop in the volume of mail.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
The voice of experience (another comment on the story):

Here's another angle to the Obamacare disaster for seniors and others. My pain management doctor, an eminent southern CA anesthesiologist with an impeccable educational background and many years of experience, moved on to establish his own private practice with another physician after the pain management organization he was working from tripled his patient load and provided no additional compensation.

He indicated to me subsequently that it left him with so little time for each patient that he could not provide the appropriate care necessary to meet their individual needs. It was also a prescription for error in diagnosis and treatment. Heretofore and now, of course, he alots as much time as necessary to each of his patients.

The organization he left replaced him with a physician who graduated from what is primarily a veterinary school in the Caribbean. [?!] Matriculation at this school requires less than half the scores on the MCATs than medical schools in the continental United States. Less than half its graduates achieve medical residency. The bottom line, and I do mean bottom line, is the organization can pay the new guy far less than the former physician, and patients receive substandard care. This is where Obamacare is headed. I daresay Obama won't be seeing the "new" guy for his pain management needs.
This is why when I go to the grocery store, I only visit the outside aisle where the produce and organic food is located. I have my vices (like bacon and Red Bulls), but so far today I had two pieces of fruit, a yogurt, and organic flax seed cereal (with soy milk). A little later on I'll eat a steamed-in-a-bag organic meal from Kashi and a salad made with Romaine lettuce and spinach. Yes, I also take a daily vitamin/mineral supplement.

From here on out, ya gotta do everything you can to stay healthy. If you get sick... God help you.
Oooh, you really ought to try to eliminate Red Bull from your daily intake. It's not good stuff.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/energy-drink-danger...

Maybe you could start cutting straight Red Bull with carbonated spring water. Or something.
"I have my vices (like bacon and Red Bulls),... <snip>....From here on out, ya gotta do everything you can to stay healthy. If you get sick... God help you. " - wolverine
-------------------------

I had two bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches for lunch today. No breakfast.

There are on heart or kidney transplants in my future. My plan if I get really sick is to go on ahead and die and see if there's anything on the other side. Never been much of a procrastinator anyway.

Art
"There are on heart or kidney transplants in my future" - Art

"There are no...."

Art
....moved on to establish his own private practice with another physician after the pain management organization he was working from tripled his patient load and provided no additional compensation.

He indicated to me subsequently that it left him with so little time for each patient that he could not provide the appropriate care necessary to meet their individual needs.

------------------

So if the pain management organization did provide additional compensation, then the diminished time with patients becomes acceptible afterall. Not the most principled presentation of your case there Doc.
No. of Recommendations: 2
They are working on proposals that would allow physician assistants to treat more patients and nurse practitioners to set up independent practices. Pharmacists and optometrists could act as primary care providers, diagnosing and managing some chronic illnesses, such as diabetes and high-blood pressure.

I certainly don't see any unintended consequences there. Nope. No problems. I really want my optometrist to treat my diabetes. I think that would be fantastic.

JLC
JLC - are you partying tonight and throwing beads?

arrete
JLC - are you partying tonight and throwing beads?

arrete

Nope. On call. Besides, NW Louisiana is not "real" Mardi Gras territory. My town has some parades and balls but nothing over the top. I can go to a parade once every 7 years and be fine. And only then if I go with a group of friends, stay in the "family" section, and put the kids on your shoulders so they can be targets for the bead throwers.

Now if you're talking King Cakes.......that is the best part of Mardi Gras.

JLC
There are no heart or kidney transplants in my future. My plan if I get really sick is to go on ahead and die and see if there's anything on the other side. Never been much of a procrastinator anyway.

Art

Well, that would be great if life were always nice and neat and you knew that as soon as you had a heart attack or a stroke or whatever, you would keel over dead.

But life isn't always like that. Life is often messy. You might get a heart attack or a stroke and survive it, in a badly damaged state. And since you said that suicide isn't an option for you because you believe it has "spiritual consequences", you would just have to live with it.
But life isn't always like that. Life is often messy. You might get a heart attack or a stroke and survive it, in a badly damaged state. And since you said that suicide isn't an option for you because you believe it has "spiritual consequences", you would just have to live with it.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Could he still go to the coffee shop?
because you believe it has "spiritual consequences", you would just have to live with it.

But Art says "it's irrelevant what you believe."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Could he still go to the coffee shop? - 2828

---------------------

As long as you still have a central nervous system.
"Well, that would be great if life were always nice and neat and you knew that as soon as you had a heart attack or a stroke or whatever, you would keel over dead. But life isn't always like that. Life is often messy. You might get a heart attack or a stroke and survive it, in a badly damaged state. And since you said that suicide isn't an option for you because you believe it has "spiritual consequences", you would just have to live with it." - Andrew
--------------------

They offered to put my father on the heart transplant list but he refused.

Art
"because you believe it has "spiritual consequences", you would just have to live with it." andrew
--------------------
"But Art says "it's irrelevant what you believe." - josh

---------------------

Josh, I am not absolutely 100% sure about anything. I think I'm close to being correct - but I am not absolutely sure about it.

So we'll just have to wait till the end to find out if I am or not.

Art
Josh, I am not absolutely 100% sure about anything. I think I'm close to being correct - but I am not absolutely sure about it. So we'll just have to wait till the end to find out if I am or not.

Basically, religious dogma can be divided into two types: grace based (Christianity) and works based (every other religion that ever came into the purview of Man). Art has a new religion: nothing based.

While Christians put their faith in grace as the establishing factor of a relationship between God and Man, and all other religions put their faith in works for the same reason, Art says no one needs to do or believe anything--indeed no faith is required at all--to be placed on the fast track to Nirvana (the ultimate unfolding of the holographic universe).

The risk Art takes is that by the time he determines if his dogma is correct ("I guess I'll know when I get there"), he has neither accepted grace nor performed sufficient works to get to the place he wants so desperately to be when he dies. He could believe what he believes--and make no mistake, he believes something--about the holographic universe while still relying on grace and be leagues ahead of where he is with respect to his place in the ultimate unfolding of the holographic universe.

Believing in "it doesn't matter what you believe" isn't a risk I'm willing to take. Knowing I can never be sufficiently this or do sufficiently that (works) to gain the acceptance of Him who created me, and after critically examining the tenets of the world's main religions with a common sense approach to a Supreme Being, I decided not to rely on my own understanding of the universe but instead accept the grace freely offered and described in the tenets of Christianity.

I wish Art could see that it's possible to feel 100% sure of his fate. The task before him is to lay down his arms and surrender to grace. It's the opposite of "doing" but not antithetical to thinking. Indeed, when properly understood, Christianity is the thinking man's religion.

http://usminc.org/images/MereChristianitybyCSLewis.pdf
Advertisement