UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yodaorange Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 454724  
Subject: CA Pensions/Calpers win this round Date: 4/1/2013 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Klein just ruled that Stockton is allowed to enter bankruptcy. Recall that the bondholders and bond insurers had challenged the bankruptcy on the basis that Stockton had not done necessary due diligence.

Like I mentioned in a recent post, this battle is likely to go on for many more years and end up at the US Supreme Court. [1]

I have not read the full transcript of the judge’s ruling yet, but on the surface it is a clear victory for pensioners and Calpers.

From Bloomberg: [2]

Negotiation is a “two way street,” said U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher M. Klein in Sacramento, addressing creditors who he said didn’t negotiate in good faith. “You cannot negotiate with a stone wall.”

In the course of the hearing today, Klein has also said that the city’s witnesses were credible and that the city was “by any measure” insolvent when it filed for protection from creditors.

The questions are:

1) Will muni bond buyers demand higher interest rates for California bonds since they appear to have lower standing than pension obligations? Yoda’s guess is yes.

2) If you were a muni bond insurer, would you write any more coverage for California bonds? Yoda’s guess is no at current rates.

3) If you are a California muni bond holder, will you consider dumping any of your bonds? Yoda’s guess is yes.

We will have to wait until the next inning starts . . . stay tuned and buy a big bucket of popcorn.

Thanks,

Yodaorange

[1] Yoda post on Stockton bankruptcy
http://boards.fool.com/california-bankruptcy-2nd-inning-upda...

[2] Bloomberg story on Stockton bankruptcy ruling
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-01/stockton-can-stay-i...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement