Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: IMBonzi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121259  
Subject: CA Tax on Child's Income More than Federal Tax? Date: 4/12/2014 12:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Using TurboTax (and reading the instructions for CA Form 3800 - Tax Computation for Certain Children With Investment Income) it appear that my child's CA tax is more than that on the 1040. Is this possible?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120728 of 121259
Subject: Re: CA Tax on Child's Income More than Federal T Date: 4/12/2014 12:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yes, it is possible. CA is a high tax state, and taxes capital gains as regular income.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120729 of 121259
Subject: Re: CA Tax on Child's Income More than Federal T Date: 4/12/2014 12:35 PM
We paid more in OR state tax for 2013 than we did for federal taxes. Like most states, OR taxes cap gains and qualified dividends as ordinary income and that's where a good portion of our income came from.

--fleg

Author: IMBonzi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120748 of 121259
Subject: Re: CA Tax on Child's Income More than Federal T Date: 4/13/2014 11:51 AM
Galling! But reassuring. Thank you.

Author: IMBonzi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120749 of 121259
Subject: Re: CA Tax on Child's Income More than Federal T Date: 4/13/2014 11:52 AM
Thank you for commiserating!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement