UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 11/1/2013 10:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
cabinsmama,

You wrote, Hmm...I guess I framed it differently in my head. Why risk my sense of right and wrong over a stupid job? Any place that would fire me for buying a sandwich or a token birthday, wedding, baby shower or Christmas gift for a subordinate, realistically, I wouldn't have lasted long there anyway.

My older brother has worked in the defense industry for all his career. He sometimes bemoans that he's not in the private sector. But he has certain benefits I don't have. And he gets to go out to the test ranges and see his stuff blow things up, which is always cool.

But I would never be able to work in that environment for terribly long. For one thing, I don't think I could turn a blind eye to some of the stuff they do. And all the secrecy. (Public sector companies have secrets too; but most of them would be paralyzed by the paranoia you find in the defense sector.) And there are all the political games involved too. I'm also afraid that if I got into that kind of environment too deep, I might find myself tempted to pull a Snowden or something. Though probably not. I'm probably too practical and paranoid myself to do such a thing - I'd probably just look for another job.

Also, I was always confident, I guess, that I could successfully fight any ethics violation charge. Or that it wouldn't be worth anyone's while to file such a charge.

I'm fairly sure most ethics charges aren't brought up because the person complaining simply wants justice. I think most are politically motivated.

In any case if ethics codes were strictly interpreted these days, people would avoid attempting any casual or interpersonal relations with fellow coworkers as any attempt at initiating such a relationship could probably be viewed as an ethics violation.

Also, Guess there's no Secret Santa in your workplace. I can see that as being a positive. But I'd hate to think I couldn't treat my unit to lunch once in a while.

Ironically I find any type of charity program at work as a potentially serious corporate ethics issue. Disclosure: My employer is currently in the midst of its annual "giving campaign" and proud of it. Of course I'm fairly sure my employer and its management probably have more serious ethics issues. Its really amazes me that I haven't heard that many real complaints. But then maybe I'm just used to all the PC correctness from back home...

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement