Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FBCinvestor Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120784  
Subject: Re: Tax Filing Software Comparison Date: 2/13/2002 7:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
CABob Wrote:
I have used TurboTax, TaxCut, and Personal Tax Edge (which has evolved into TaxAct) in the past and have found them all to be adquate for their intended purpose. FWIW I will be using TaxCut this year. Look for rebates that will apply to the state tax programs and e-filing as well as some other goodies if that is of interest.

Thanks for the info about TaxAct. I have done my own taxes for 10 years. I originally was a Personal Tax Edge customer and was always pleased with that product.

Then Intuit bought Parson's Technology for the sole purpose of destroying the competition, retired PTE then immediately sold the remnant company. As a result, my order for that year was converted to TurboTax. I thought the interface was not as nice and the business practice made me dislike Intuit to this day.

The biggest problem for me was that it was too well integrated into Quicken. I had some categories set up that were not the most optimal for my tax situation, learned of my error, and corrected it for future data. But when I imported my tax info, TurboTax decided that it should tell Quicken to undo all my category changes and revert it back to the way it was at the previous year.

So, I decided I had enough and switched to Kiplinger (now H&R Block) TaxCut. I have used TaxCut the last two years. If you rely solely on the questions in the interview mode, you may miss important tax deductions. The State version for Montana does not integrate very well, either. It imports the basic stuff, but I end up doing the real work manually.

I am thinking about giving TaxAct a look, based on the link you provided.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement